Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which charger?

Re: which charger?

Quote Originally Posted by morphias View Post
    Bros: Correct, no one type gets all 7 (or 5 or 10 or whatever number depending on make and model) stages.
    Pretty much as I thought a marketing trick

Quote Originally Posted by jez and suze View Post
    hello all
    looking at getting a charger for my boat battery but am unsure with the relation to the charger amp size.

i use seamaster m70 but which charger would be best suited to throw on after weekends fishing or after boat has sat for a bit.

the chargers have amp ratings starting at 1 amp up to 20ish.
    i have no idea about electrics!
    whats the best allrounder?

thanks.
    jeremy
    hey mate. i have a repco 7 stage 16amp smart charger from Repco. It does the job. I think it cost me 120 odd bucks from memory. I got the 16amp so I could fully charge my 100amp battery basically over night and be ready to go again the next day. In hindsight the wife has never let me fish two consecutive days in row so probably didn't need to buy the faster charger. cheers.

http://repcoequipment.businesscataly...attery-charger

TheRealAndy:

Not wanting to get into an argument, but I have to disagree with some of that...

Desulphation does recover batteries. I have used it many many times to restore batteries that have been deemed stuffed. When I change out batteries in UPS's (uninterruptable power supply), I often keep the old 'dead' batteries and use my Projecta to recover them. I then use them myself or give them to family and friends as they are excellent for running lighting, etc, at campsites or at home during extended blackouts. Others I put into my UPS's at home.
    I never said desulphation does not work. Sure, those shagged batteries for camping, but not for starting your boat engine.

Equalisation is only for Calcium batteries and is specific to their chemistry.
    Equalisation is the "mixing" of the chemicals used in your batteries. It is specific to any wet cell battery. I can see some merit in fixed installs, but its pointless in boat or car battery. It is achieved by overcharging your battery.

not want to get into an arguement morphious but what you say about 'gel' batteries is BS and contrary to any of the manufacturers datasheets. Many 'gel' batteries can accept very high rates of charge with no detriment to their longevity. If anyone wants to know how fast they can charge any battery just look up the manufacturers datasheet. They are not hard to read. The origional post was quite old so I wont bother answering the original question.