Thread: Icom Handheld

Icom Handheld

After much diliberation, have opted for a icom m73 plus, rather than my original idea of having a vhf hardwired.

Can anyone care to comment on the quality and reliability of these units

Cheers

Re: Icom Handheld

My understanding is that to meet the safety regs a radio must be fixed if you are going offshore. If just using it for safety inshore than no probs.

EDIT - I am wrong . In QLD no rules on radio for rec vessel . AS soon as you head over NSW border the nanny state rather than common sense takes over.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    My understanding is that to meet the safety regs a radio must be fixed if you are going offshore. If just using it for safety inshore than no probs.
    The regs here only state a two way marine radio capable of contacting on shore station, so its fairly generic

Common sense also comes in, one wouldn't go further than the capabilities of the radio

Will be watching this thread, I am in the market for a hand held. Up here in Queensland I don't think you are legally required to have a radio at all? Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Regardless, I would be interested in 'value' hand helds, around the $200-$300 mark.

Thanks
    Rob

They an Icom M73 plus hand held radio puts out 6 watts max
    Compared to 25 watts a fixed mount radio puts out
    Depends how far out your going i suppose
    you will maybe be able to receive
    But transmitting back could be a problem if your more than 10 miles out ?

I'm aware of the limitations of a handheld ,I would like to know if the Icom is any good

Can't go wrong with Icom, one on the best brands on the market. I have one in my tinny an M-34 I think. Waterproof and it floats.
    The company i work for, use Icom handhelds commercially over a fleet of 30 boats. They cop a flogging on a daily basis, and still keep going.

G'day

Cannot go wrong with an Icom, have the M35, very good little unit.

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

I have had an ICOM M23 as a backup for several years robust and reliable.