Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media Release: Cleveland Boaties & Fishers get New Boat Ramp and Floating Walkways

Media Release: Cleveland Boaties & Fishers get New Boat Ramp and Floating Walkways

Mark Robinson MP

Deputy Speaker and Chairman of Committees
    LNP Member for Cleveland

1st August, 2013

Cleveland Boaties & Fishers get New Boat Ramp and Floating Walkways

Member for Cleveland, Mark Robinson MP has continued to deliver for the fishing and boating community in Cleveland with the Queensland Government allocating $750,000 to the Redland City Council to upgrade the boat ramp facilities at William Street Raby Bay.

‘The LNP government will invest $750,000 in a new boat ramp to be built West of the Volunteer Marine Rescue building and two floating pontoon walkways,’ said Dr Robinson.

‘The existing boat ramp at William Street has been very popular with tens of thousands of users every year. The construction of a second ramp and floating pontoons will relieve the pressure on the existing ramp and make for a better overall boating experience for Bayside boaties.’

‘The new boat ramp and pontoons are a win for thousands of Redlanders who access the bay for marine recreation and fishing.’

‘The Volunteer Marine Rescue will also benefit from this upgrade and will allow them to keep their watchful eye on the bay’

‘The project is expected to be completed within the current financial year.

Re: Media Release: Cleveland Boaties & Fishers get New Boat Ramp and Floating Walkway

Thats good news Mark.

Re: Media Release: Cleveland Boaties & Fishers get New Boat Ramp and Floating Walkway

Yep good news. It should make it a decent ramp.

Yhea might be good thing that government up grading boat ramp but what about the Boating channels get them dredging and making deeper Around the place they are that shallow on the low tides getting ridiculous & should fixing the existing ones around in Queensland first

Mitch
    In life, start off wrong and you'll finish wrong. Put just one skeleton in the closet and you'll have to put another one in to hide the first, and so it goes.
    But start off right and you'll finish right. There's no comeback when you stick to the truth - and no skeletons!

Maybe trial using one as a launch ramp and make one a retrieve.

Ensure the pontoons are clearly marked "no fishing" and have a set time limit for boats.

Dredge the channel.

Have defined rigging and de-rigging zones.

And try to make sure the pontoons don't take up all the space where people who don't want to use them still have somewhere to pull up.
    Last edited by Triple; 03-09-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Trial added.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Wow. All we need to do now is fix the Wello Point one and the southern Vikki Point one and buy out all the commercial fisherman and crabbers in Moreton Bay. Moreton Bay would then be an Aquatic wonderland.

Thanks Mark, another ramp will definitely easy the pressure on those busy days. But let's hope the channel and basin can be dredged at the same time.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Totally agree Bruce, one of the busiest ramps and the channel is stuffed at low tide needs a dredge like Victoria Point as well.
    Tangles KFC

Is there an advantage to one launch and one retrieve?

I can only see a small advantage in boat traffic direction on water. But there is a huge disadvantage in that most boats are going out at same times and coming in at same times... so you still have only one ramp!

I know that is only broadly true but it will mean an idle ramp while other is busy many times in the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's great Mark. It would be good to have in place before the silly season starts. Any news on the other works? I'm still waiting for the Manly upgrade promised a year ago
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

That is great news. Thank you. It is good to have a local member who listens and tries to get things done for his community.

GES

Mark, Can you have a chat to David Gibson about getting some fishing/boating results up here. If he didn't keep blowflying event where a media rep was there, we wouldn't know if he was still breathing.

How about some fish cleaning facilities in the upgrade ???

For now I am taking a note of all ideas raised and will take up with the Redland City Council and other rec fishers who use the ramp - to feed into the design work before the tendering process gets underway. Btw am on nuggets 4bc fishing this weekend about the ramp
    RCC will receive the funds and build the infrastructure in stages, starting this financial year and walkways may be into next financial year. Re the dredging at the ramp, yes it is an issue at low tide. I believe there was some levelling work done, but don't think has been dredged for a while (like 99% of Qld bayside creeks and channels). And it may be some time because previous gov'ts didn't keep up with the dredging. As a gov't we have inherited $100 mill plus of dredging work - and have made big commitments to Cairns and Broadwater first. But I will keep asking state gov't and council. Enjoy your fishing. If you have kids, take them fishing when you can so that our kids grow up understanding that you can fish sustainably and without hurting the environment. I fear we have a generation coming thru who don't fish, don't understand and are being bombarded with extreme Green dogma that rec fishers are destroying the planet. Let's educate our kids by showing them how to fish right. Now I'll get down off my soapbox. Tight lines.

I noticed the tender for the work on the Manly ramp has been called. Widening and a pontoon seem to be in the scope of works
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"