Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First timers experience at a m&g - Straddie.

First timers experience at a m&g - Straddie.

Every time I see a m&g post I think I am going to this one. Inevitably as the event gets closer and the trash talk begins I chicken out. Obviously all these guys know each other, will I be treated like an outsider or welcomed? Well it was time to find out. So last Thursday night I told my wife that I wished to spend a night on the Gold Coast with random people that I found on the internet. After some strange looks and SWMBO reading the Ausfish thread I was granted a leave pass.
    The weather looked good on Saturday afternoon so I loaded the boat with a few rods and bait(escape plan should the m&g not go well) and beer in an esky.
    I headed off for the Weiman Ck boat ramp for the first time and found it to be really good. Headed down to Tipplers via the Canaipa passage and arrived about 1630. I anchored a fair way from the Ausfish flag in case I made a tit of myself anchoring up but that all went well. I wandered over and after being bagged about the ETEC I was introduced to everyone. First problem, everyone except Lucky Phill and Chong used their real names. I had only ever related to these guys via their Ausfish names. Anyway I was helped reanchor closer to the tent and unloaded the esky and chair. The plan was to drink slowly and bail to go fishing before I was over the limit. Second problem, who can drink slowly with these guys (except for teetotaler Muddy Toes). So settled in and soon enough the fire was stoked up and the BS and jokes began. Most people reverted to their Ausfish names after a few drinks which made life a whole lot easier. The night went quickly and before I knew it I was out of beer and trotted off to sleep it off on the boat.
    There are more elaborate descriptions of the activities of the night documented elsewhere on Ausfish.

So who should go to a m&g:
    1) anyone interested in fishing/boats (some seriously nice rigs to look at)
    2) if you are not offended by a bit of swearing (approximately every 4th word or every word if you are Chong)
    3) sick of political correctness (definitely none of that PC stuff there)
    4) don't mind a drink or twenty (if drinking is not your thing you can join the white beanbag gang on the beach)
    5) interested in meeting a great down to earth bunch of guys and girl

Verdict:
    Wish I went years ago. i will definitely be back for more.

Thanks for organising a great outing Marty and thanks to everyone who made me feel welcome (even if you did bag the ETEC all night!)

Re: First timers experience at a m&g - Straddie.

Was good to meet you brendan, you should have said you run out of beer, there was plenty of joy left....

Aww sounds like fun

You should have seen me earlier in the day I could have given you a cuppa tea
    Cheers

Trev

No turning back now mate, it's gets even better if you can get up to the breaksea spit or 1770 m&g , hope to meet you in the future. Cheers MM

6) stay away from any drink called "Joy". Old mate camping near by, Tony (I think), came told some jokes, had a swig of joy and went running home jumping over anchors lines as he went never to be seen again!

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    You should have seen me earlier in the day I could have given you a cuppa tea
    I arrived as you up anchored. Very distinctive boat Trevelly.

You need to come to 1770 brendan, its the same but for 7 days...

It was a good weekend and you got to meet a lot of the regulars, your not a stranger now and I expect to see you on a few fishing trips!!!Dont take any of the etec bashing too serious...apparently I am known as Dremel now....

Cheers
    Marty
    Living the dream, Barry

Thought about going to one of these myself but don't actually know anyone. I quite enjoy the odd beer and a bit if bulls@&t and really love looking at boats so I might have to bite the bullet aswell. Waking up with your eyebrows is always a bonus.

To be honest guys, I think you will be surprised at the calibre of people that are your Ausfish Folk. Come along you will enjoy it, very easy going blokes and quite cunny funts too!
    Living the dream, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    It was a good weekend and you got to meet a lot of the regulars, your not a stranger now and I expect to see you on a few fishing trips!!!Dont take any of the etec bashing too serious...apparently I am known as Dremel now....

Cheers
    Marty
    You ain't dremel, Jim is!. You will have to ask Macca why Jim got the Dremel tag. I near choked on my joy when he came up with that.

You'd swear that some of the guys are related to each other, they look that similar, but yeah as Marty said very nice people.

Was an absolute pleasure meeting you Brendan or Brendon or who cares how you spell it really!!!

Can't believe you went to bed because the esky was showing empty!!
    Three things you should never have to ask at a M&G are......

1. Permission to board?
    2. Should we make this fire bigger?
    3. Is there any spare booze around here!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    You need to come to 1770 brendan, its the same but for 7 days...
    Somehow I doubt my liver could take it. Besides I would have to do some fishing as the kids keep asking where the fish are?