Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aircraft Carrier USS George Washington and support fleet in Brisbane this week

Aircraft Carrier USS George Washington and support fleet in Brisbane this week

Received a flyer by email today advertising cruises to view the Aircraft Carrier USS George Washington and its support group, which will be in Brissie Tuesday to Friday it seems.

If nothing else it will be a spectacular sight coming in the channel off Caloundra.

Cheers,

Dave

Re: Aircraft Carrier USS George Washington and support fleet in Brisbane this week

I was on the brassy this morning to find 3 warships coming in ,cops and official boats everywhere and the distinct smell of oil. The large clumps of tarry oil on the surface near where the drege was confirmed it. Not a nice day to fish the river that is for sure although the warships are something different. Ben

Re: Aircraft Carrier USS George Washington and support fleet in Brisbane this week

Blooey was one of the 3 the carrier?

I wish I could have the boat out near the main channel near Cowan to see it underway.

300 metres of 80 metre high steel island driving by must be a sight to see.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

All ships look bloody big when you are close to them, so I would reckon a US aircraft carrier might look on the large size too! Near me we have a pretty big shipping harbour (Port Kembla) and there is a place where the ships go from the outer harbour, to the inner harbour, you can park your car and watch them come through "the cut" and they are just metres from the shore where you are standing, pretty spectacular with a couple of big tugs trying to yank them around 180 degrees just meters away.

Yes it was walrus like. They were in the process of berthing it when I left the ramp , the whole river was closed off for about an hour. Pretty big ship alright. I was more concerned with the oil spill though. Ben

Sorry FG... those pictures are not working for me.

I can see all the other pics in other posts so I think it won't be just me that can't see em.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Attachment 95086

tried photobucket and just uploading the images from my computer. all files too large except this . sorry.

Last edited by mod5; 29-07-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    All ships look bloody big when you are close to them, so I would reckon a US aircraft carrier might look on the large size too! Near me we have a pretty big shipping harbour (Port Kembla) and there is a place where the ships go from the outer harbour, to the inner harbour, you can park your car and watch them come through "the cut" and they are just metres from the shore where you are standing, pretty spectacular with a couple of big tugs trying to yank them around 180 degrees just meters away.
    My uncle used to work on the tugs down there noelm. I remember going out on them and bringing in the coal carriers. The biggest I remember was the iron pacific owned by bhp. That thing was huge. It would hit the bottom as it came through the breakwater

Looks like brisbane's new runway has arrived! Does that mean they stop destroying the mangroves now.

Now who was it that was testing out his new radar and bumped into a giant wall of steel?

Reckon that thing would show up on the radar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Now that would make an awesome artificial reef .

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    My uncle used to work on the tugs down there noelm. I remember going out on them and bringing in the coal carriers. The biggest I remember was the iron pacific owned by bhp. That thing was huge. It would hit the bottom as it came through the breakwater
    Yep, the Iron Pacific and the Iron Kembla were an awesome sight, especially if they were heading right for you out near the shelf, the bow wave was gigantic when they were leaving Port Kembla fully loaded and they got up to a good speed!

G'day guys, I have read that the George Washington is leaving Brisbane on Saturday morning? I have rang the port of Brisbane to try and find out a time but was told they can't give out any info on navy ships, understandably. Does anyone here have any idea what time it may depart or even better, go past caloundra? I wouldn't mind going out for a look.
    Cheers guys
    Lee
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh