Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aircraft Carrier USS George Washington and support fleet in Brisbane this week

Re: Aircraft Carrier USS George Washington and support fleet in Brisbane this week

I would like to do a trip out to see it underway. Maybe Whyte island to Sandhills sat morn?

Anyone know the time it leaves?

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Re: Aircraft Carrier USS George Washington and support fleet in Brisbane this week

Looks like its leaving at 1200 today. From notice to mariners:

"The direction restricts the navigation, anchoring and operation of all ships, including small self propelled craft, on waters of the Brisbane River between the Entrance Beacons and the Pelican Banks Reach, from 1200 hours until 1300 hours on Saturday, 3 August 2013."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It was very impressive to see up close... and the trip over to Moreton ahead of it was good.

Anchored just nw of e5 beacon and saw it swing around the corner at reasonable speed. Very impressive.

Huge wake.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

One of the fleet officers mentioned on the radio that his vessel could do 60 knots with the gas turbines engaged. I doubt that it was the carrier as I thought they did around 48knts. I always thought the destroyers were slower for some reason.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"