Thread: catching gar for bait, off land

catching gar for bait, off land

want to stock up on a bit of bait, wondering were to start, I live at Cabarita beach nsw, but moving to Pottsville soon.

does anyone know were I can get garfish for bait land based?
    do I need to go to tweed? or will Pottsville river mouth have them?
    should I use bread?
    should I use a float?
    is night better than day, or is it a tide thing?

I normally buy bait, but since I sold my boat thought I might go out n catch n stock a bit till me next boat.

thanks heaps any tips would be great cheers
    Screaming drag is my drug

Re: catching gar for bait, off land

if no one knows the area that's allgood, but any tip on catching gar off land?
    bait to catch them on?
    do they like it around jetties and ramps?
    do you use a float?

thanks

I've found that a whole stale bread roll works well from my boat, as it soaks up water small bits break off and create a burly trail. You could use a bait jig and use a lacky band to keep the roll above the jigs. Maybe a bit of tuna oil with a syringe into the roll will also give a bit more flavor.

If it doesn't work eat the bread roll...

Mate don't know about locations but used to get them all the time off jetties down in Newcastle for bait. Method used:
    Pollard or bran for burley after a bit of tuna oil in the water to glass it off. Just go lightly on the burley. If they are there you should see them.
    Small , light, float that lays flat on the water not upright.
    Light leader (2lb) of about 40cm behind float.
    Small No10 suicide hook
    Tiniest piece of prawn for bait. And I mean tiny
    Cast float around where you see them and try to keep the bait near or just under the surface by moving the float back toward yourself. Move. Stop. Move. Stop etc
    Float will start to rotate when hooked or most times with good light and polarized sunnies you can see them inhale the bait.
    If you get a few de poo them before you head home. Stops their stomach going soft.
    Have made floats from a small bit of cane and surfboard foam sanded to a nice cylinder shape. On each end use a small bit of tubing to hold line. Line goes through the tubing. Used to use little bits of electrical cable outer sheathing for the tubing.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by thelump; 31-07-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Because I am a simpleton that couldnt remember pollard till reading Noelms post

Not 100% sure on your location, but they are no that hard to catch, mainly a summer thing down my way, and anywhere there is a sheltered bay will be a good starting place, they don't like rough water too much. Gear is simple, long soft rod, light line and a small spinning reel, tiny hook, small pencil float and a small piece of peeled prawn for bait. Bread is a good burley, but it has one drawback, it floats, and 10 seconds later, there is 50 Seagulls trying to eat it, the bird activity seems to spook the Garfish (in my opinion) so either soak the bread in water first, or use pollard.

cheers that's should help thanks