Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fraser Is. closed area

Fraser Is. closed area

Hi Guys,
    just reading the paper.. I didn't know there was a closed area at Fraser...
    http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com....eason/1959997/

randell

Re: Fraser Is. closed area

Mate this area is closed every year . Reason is for the tailor to have babies and not be disturbed by fisher persons while they make babies

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by randell View Post
    Hi Guys,

randell
    Clearly you're not reading every newspaper....

Quote Originally Posted by randell View Post
    Hi Guys,

randell
    Make yourself a coffee, sit down and read this http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries...es-regulations

Click all the links and take it in, there could be a few more little gems in there for you.

I'm not trying to be a smartarse, but the simple fact is that if for some reason you end up doing the wrong thing by fisheries, ignorance of the rules will not be an accepted excuse. You have to know what you're dealing with before going fishing.....

Kev

Thanks for posting. That is a good link.
    Pauly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I never knew of the closure but I don't fish that area and don't fish for tailor anyway, but what does surprise me is that there is a 20 fish bag limit of fish over 35cm for a species from what I have heard doesn't freeze very well.

Maybe it is because I am predominantly a reef fisherman where you are only allowed 20 coral reef fin fish in total that this seems excessive to me.

I'm not trying to start a sh*t fight but more so curious as to what other peoples views are.

Are there an abundance of tailor out there or does there need to be a review of the bag limit?
    And do they actually freeze ok?

Just saw the thread "Tailor stocks hanging from a thread" will have a read of that later on.

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    I never knew of the closure but I don't fish that area and don't fish for tailor anyway, but what does surprise me is that there is a 20 fish bag limit of fish over 35cm for a species from what I have heard doesn't freeze very well.

Maybe it is because I am predominantly a reef fisherman where you are only allowed 20 coral reef fin fish in total that this seems excessive to me.

I'm not trying to start a sh*t fight but more so curious as to what other peoples views are.

Are there an abundance of tailor out there or does there need to be a review of the bag limit?
    And do they actually freeze ok?

There is a long and complicated history with Tailor fishing and their stocks, particularly on Fraser Island. Current regs were implemented only a handful of years ago and prior to this the min size was 30cm and I don't think there was a bag limit at all (happy to be corrected). Having a bag limit introduced upset many of the regulars that raped and pillage this species annually each spring during a vulnerable stage of their life cycle - i.e. when they were schooled up in their thousands to breed. This slaughter still continues to this day, although fishermen need to be a bit more savy to take a good catch these days, but there are still times when the fish are feeding that voraciously that any numpty could fill a bag in an hour or less. For this reason, some still don't see the issue with taking huge bags of fish, they just can't control themselves when the fish are biting, tailor fever can strike anyone. To the rape and pillage fishermen amongst us 20 fish at 35cm is still not enough, personally a reduction in quantity and increase in size wouldn't worry me and I would welcome a review.

Unfortunately the abundance of fish in Spring is a bit of a false economy as these are migrating fish from the entire eastern seaboard, many will have travelled from Victorian and NSW estuaries to spawn at Fraser, so it just seems that there are millions of them, I'm not sure abundant is the right word though.

In years past when the fish were more plentiful there used to be tonnes and tonnes of fish taken from the beaches up on Fraser, sadly many were taken home as the following summers supply of crab bait, many feasts were had on fresh fish around campfires on the island and I'm certain plenty would have been wasted as it spoiled on the trip home or people realised that frozen tailor was crap. Some people eat tailor after it's been frozen, but personally I'm not a big fan of it, I really enjoy it fresh on the bbq the day of capture or the following day, but certainly don't keep any in the freezer for my own consumption. On the other hand, my mum loves it after being frozen, I could take her a fresh tailor caught that day and she will still put it in the freezer to eat on another day, each to their own I suppose.....

The secret to cooking frozen tailor, is to cook it while its frozen. Don't thaw it out
    David

I like to store a dozen or more in the freezer for summer when they make fantastic Spanish baits. Ben

Another secret to cooking frozen Tailor, thaw it out, take a good fillet then put this fillet on a gang hook, then either cast this fillet back into the ocean, or drop it off the side of a boat over a reef. Once the fillet has been consumed by another variety of fish, fillet said fish then cook on a fry pan with a little butter. Turns out perfect every time!

I would have to agree with Just_Chips on this, reduce the limit and increase the size. I may be a little biased as i only catch tailor for sport or to eat one or 2 within hours of catching. The days of going to Fraser on your boys trip and bring back enough Tailor to feed your street are over, we need to adapt with the fisheries now that we have more information regarding the spawning and migration patterns.

I agree with Chips and GM - Increased size limit and reduced bag limit. Let face it, the boys trip to Fraser now days is about getting away from day to day stresses weather it be work or the mrs, a group of Lads camping or staying in a house knocking the top off a XXXX Gold for breakfast at 530am just before the first line hits the water and catch a few fish for lunch or dinner that day. We always bring enough filets home to feed our immediate family members being my Mrs, Kids, my parents and my Mother in Law. As per Just chips comments below fresh tailor doesn't do much for me and my family after about 2 days sitting in the fridge. I would prefer to catch a jew or 2 and take that home frozen to eat at a later date or some really tasty whiting fillets. All that said I hear the quality of the tailor up the eastern beach this season have already hit the 40 -45cm mark with some good 50cm models hitting the sand later in the night? anyone else heard

Hi Tailorfisho,

From what i have heard there are some nice fish coming in up the North end of the island, smaller 30-35cm in numbers and the odd larger model, not too sure on anything south of Indian. I'm heading up end of next week so will hopefully have something to report the week after!

Cheers

Smile Re: Fraser Is. closed area

Quote Originally Posted by GM-Bluewater View Post
    Hi Tailorfisho,

From what i have heard there are some nice fish coming in up the North end of the island, smaller 30-35cm in numbers and the odd larger model, not too sure on anything south of Indian. I'm heading up end of next week so will hopefully have something to report the week after!

Cheers
    Well I hope you have a cold beer in your esky when we run into each other GM? I and 2 others head up Friday Morning leaving north brissy around the 9am mark. Stop off at Rainbow for a Rainbow beach pie then take the barge over on the falling tide. Dead low is 330pm but only a real small tide so hopefully hit hook point around 1pm. Are you in a house or camping? We are camping again this year as last year was very enjoyable camped north or Waddy Point. This year we are thinking around the Catherals, dundaburra depending on the sweel and wind, if not we will head up around Ngkala Rocks or beyond. We will be in a new Charcoal Triton decked out with all the ARB gear there is to put on a triton, a charcaol SR5 decked out with ARB gear, and a Charcoal Dmax with Alloy tool boxes on the back. Abit of Shark, mackeral and jew fishing happening from us this year so if we get onto them you will probably run into us, just look for the crowds once the sharks hit the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailorfisho78 View Post
    Well I hope you have a cold beer in your esky when we run into each other GM? I and 2 others head up Friday Morning leaving north brissy around the 9am mark. Stop off at Rainbow for a Rainbow beach pie then take the barge over on the falling tide. Dead low is 330pm but only a real small tide so hopefully hit hook point around 1pm. Are you in a house or camping? We are camping again this year as last year was very enjoyable camped north or Waddy Point. This year we are thinking around the Catherals, dundaburra depending on the sweel and wind, if not we will head up around Ngkala Rocks or beyond. We will be in a new Charcoal Triton decked out with all the ARB gear there is to put on a triton, a charcaol SR5 decked out with ARB gear, and a Charcoal Dmax with Alloy tool boxes on the back. Abit of Shark, mackeral and jew fishing happening from us this year so if we get onto them you will probably run into us, just look for the crowds once the sharks hit the beach.
    As long as you don't mind the green cans mate then there will be plenty of beer! haha Im Heading up on Thursday arvo through Rainbow. Staying at our place at Orchid for the 1st 2 days then it is rented out so just staying with a mate. Weather permitting i will be fishing East of Waddy and Indian but if it blows up i will be anywhere between 399 metres north of Waddy around to rooney's off the beach. Got an 02 Green Hilux and will have a big blue Techni-Ice box on the back. I don't generally go south of Indian while im there so if you are up North, keep an eye out, will be keen for a beer!