Thread: Old Surf Rod Restoration TIPS PLEASE ????

Old Surf Rod Restoration TIPS PLEASE ????

Hey guys,

A mate of mine wants me to restore some old surf rods for him. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the wooden but or bottom grip that is all one piece and up under the old reel winch, I think?. I have not done one of these before so any tips or tricks would be very helpful.. Also what grit sand paper do you sand back the blank when it is stripped off? how many coats of lacker do you give the blank before putting the guides on?
    Old Surf.jpgOld Surf 02.jpg

Re: Old Surf Rod Restoration TIPS PLEASE ????

Hi if you are not going to replace the reel seats then sand the wooden butts, restain them then coat the butts with a clear estapol.
    If you are going to replace the reel seats the with a hacksaw cut the reel seat off u sing a spiral cut this allows you to prise the reel seat off the wood .
    You then need to remove all the runners and lightly sand the blank.
    You then replace the reel seat.
    I normally coat the plank with a clear lacquer allowing the lacquer to cure for approx 3 days,
    then rebind new runners
    Hope this helps

Ken

Ken what would a full restoration cost to get done mate. I have an old LB Powerod 3 or 4 wrap 12 ft rod that my old dad gave me. Great old blank just needs a bit of love. Currently set up with low winch mount with old timber butt and cork foregrip.
    Sorry for hijacking thread

Thanks ken,

The wood is split. Where is the best spot to buy vintage reel seats and guides?
    and what timber do you turn the buts out of?

Thanks Buck

Dremel tool will come in handy here.

thanks guys