Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Fish Dumping Episode - Tonnes of Fish Including Large Tailor Rotting in Creek

Re: Another Fish Dumping Episode - Tonnes of Fish Including Large Tailor Rotting in C

Fair point Dave, you were simply stating not to make assumptions on this particular kill.

Over time on ausfish there have been a fair few posts on the topic of beach/inshore netting and ultimately the old "its not too bad", "be careful what you wish for" chestnuts gets thrown out as defence for the practice of beach netting - that's were my comment has come from.

Re: Another Fish Dumping Episode - Tonnes of Fish Including Large Tailor Rotting in C

Fair call. My apologies if I offended in my further reply.

tip, do not approach these guys with the attitude that you need to enforce the law. much more evidence can be gathered by sucking up to them. close up pics, audio, video and hey maybe you can even purchase a fish off them (another law broken). we need to be the eyes and ears and gather as much info as we can as quickly as we can if we want these practices to be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Big Mack,

While I support your efforts here to some degree, I can't let your comments re the Noosa North Shore tailor situation and the article in the Sunshine Coast Daily go untouched.

The graph to which you refer, which was constructed by myself, in no way implies any cyclic scenario and the article in no way implies any cyclic scenario - quite the opposite and clearly so. There is a clear downward trend of tailor yields in the Cooloola/Fraser region and the graph is demonstrative of that. For your information, that graph and the article by Bill Hoffman was the catalyst for Fisheries to last week re-assess tailor stocks and reverse their assessment that they are being sustainably fished. As a result of my work and that of Bill's, which you are criticising for some bizarre reason, Fisheries are now committed to look at ways of recovering tailor stocks and have invited me to be a part of that process. I will, in this process be representing the interests of the recreational fishing sector and the community at large - including yours.

Perhaps you should read the article again and not just the comments after - and I notice 2 new ones that must be yours. While you're re-educating yourself, have a look at "Tailor Stocks Hanging by a Thread" in the News section of this website and see what other 'bullshit' I'm capable of.

Lindsay Dines
    HI Lindsay - I am fully supportive of your work and have read your previous information on Tailor Stocks, netting, panic and danger message from trapped fish affecting all other species on the beach etc etc. If my comment was misconstrued I am sorry. What i tried to say was that anyone who believes this is cyclical and I think there was a reference from someone in fisheries that said this was cyclical??? is rubbish. I think those people who have been fishing for tailor for more than 40 years (me included) will know that the species is in genuine decline.

If you had read my article you would know that I am on your side otherwise wouldn't have bothered to be angry enough to write to the minister....

Cheers