Thread: Newbie from Morayfield

Newbie from Morayfield

Hi all I'm Matt, another one that's was a long time lurker but first time poster.I'm only limited to land based fishing which i do mostly around bribie island and toorbul,i pump for yabbies as fresh bait and I've never really used SP's as i don't really know how to use them effectively enough hence why i paid the membership to learn more and ask silly questions

Cheers

Matt

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Newbie from Morayfield

Welcome aboard mate, there's plenty of knowledge to be gained from this forum and no question is too silly to ask
    Cheers,,, TT

Hi Matt, nothing wrong with chasing flatties land based , i think a light spin outfit with braid so you can feel the bites, fish a nice light leader 6-8lb mono or fluoro, walk any sand flats and fish the gutters on the runout or ive found in winter especially flatties will move up into the flats at high tide etc for a bit of a sunbake so wading is also an option. Some squidgy fish(60-70mm in silver is my favourite) is always a starting point for a plastic to try, jig head heavy enough to allow a nice swimming motion as the lure drops. Vary the retrieve from short hops to long slow lifts and drops, pause the lure on the bottom for a few secs, just experiment and you will get the feel for whats working on the day. Flatties are an ambush predator so little bits of cover like a depression or edges of weed beds are good. Ive never fished for bream on lures but thats a whole other avenue that someone can fill you in on.
    Then you also have the option wading on a high tide to try for a whiting on lures. Good luck with it.

Hi floating rib, mate thanks for the little advice their, last week I brought a nice little shimano 3-5kg 2500 spin combo and I spooled it some 8lb yellow braid. What size jighead would you recommend for a combo like mine? Cheers matt

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard Matt

Re the jighead size, you nedd just enough weight to feel the bottom. I reckon start with1/8th oz mate. Only really need heavier in strong current or real deep water. You dont need lots of weight to cast a mile out as the flatties sit in close to the shallows generally. Keep an eye out for flatty lies at low tide to give you an idea of where they sit.

Good luck and take ya camera, we want pics!!!

Hey funchy,

Mate thanks for the welcome and thanks for the jighead size, I'm hoping to get out for a fish first thing tomorrow morning and hope to hone my bad SP jigging skills while no one's around.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2