Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Moreton bay

Re: Trolling Moreton bay

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    bruce pm me your number mate..i live in Capalaba nearby..will come show you how to rig them properly...
    Kinda hoping you were gunna come to hungry's M&G and teach a few of us?

Cheers
    C

Hey guys, just a quick question. I've only just had my first try at trolling for macs using paravanes and wondered if a shallow-diving lure would tow behind one, but at a better depth than it could achieve on its own - or would it just 'trip' the paravane in the same way a fish does ???

As with many others, I only got grinners my first time out - so my conclusion is either too shallow water, or too deep lure, or both. Looking forward to keeping on and getting better at this.

Cheers for any advice, Steve

Tie one on and find out

I think I remember reading somewhere that you can, up to a certain weight lure.

Saying that though I think I've been towing grinners around sometimes without them tripping the Paravane. So trial and error I Spose.

Cheers nic
    That's a nice fish you caught... Do you mind if I use it for bait.

I heard a small rumour that mackeral are north of the rainbow channel.

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    I heard a small rumour that mackeral are north of the rainbow channel.
    Hervey Bay? That is north of the rainbow channel. Come to think of it so is Townsville!

crunchy,
    i have something on the weekend of 22nd December at this stage..i sorted bruce problem out this arvo...was a simple fix..i cannot stress the importance of keeping everthin straight on the board/paravain...if my plans change for that weekend I will be there for sure..might be able to make a brief appearance around mid day on the Saturday to show how to rig
    cheers rosco

Well done on helping Bruce sort out his tackle Rosco. What was the issue?

I will be a non starter for this event as I have my work Xmas do that Sat night. Perhaps we can have another Mac Attack later on when the Spotties are playing the game
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

the line on the paravain to the spoon wasn't straight..he had a small file mark there but wasn't running straight down the middle ..it was running pissed

the line on the paravain to the spoon wasn't straight..he had a small file mark there but wasn't running straight down the middle ..it was running pissed

Wouldn't be the first time Bruce has tried to run pissed...............probably won't be the last either!

crunchy,
    i have something on the weekend of 22nd December at this stage..i sorted bruce problem out this arvo...was a simple fix..i cannot stress the importance of keeping everthin straight on the board/paravain...if my plans change for that weekend I will be there for sure..might be able to make a brief appearance around mid day on the Saturday to show how to rig
    cheers rosco
    Well not quite Rosco, went out the sand hills this morning and had the same problem, they just spin and pop out on the surface. You said my paravains are bigger than yours Rosco, so maybe its a weight thing. Maybe the spoons are not big enough for the paravains. I ended up just trolling small hard body deep divers but without luck.

Rosco txt me your address and I'll drop the bastard around, you can take out the little fu#$er out and see if you can get it working.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

how fast are you trolling bruce?
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

bruce yours are size 7 I use a size 6 board...will pop round b4 my next trip trolling and give them a go and see If I can sort it out..will drop off 1 of mine and see how you go with that one.lol

Hi Guys,

Really enjoying this thread. Been fishing bait all my life for the past 25 years but new to trolling. Really want to get into. decided im going to go for a troll around Peel area tomorrow morning. Just wanting to summarise what I have seen in this thread and get some pointers if I could pick your brains.

1. Spoon lures seem to be the go here? Are they generally better than halco laser pro's etc? I was planning on going and picking up a couple of 3" spoons from BCF tonight.

2. Is it ok to troll with a spinning reel set up? I have a couple of Baitrunner OC 6000's mounted on some pretty nice rods and was just wondering if these will do the trick if i troll them in gear or If i should pick up a couple of overhead set ups?

3. is it absolutely neccessary to use a paravane? No dramas getting a few but they seem like tough work! What sort of depths/areas should I be looking for?

Not looking for the fish of a lifetime or anyones secret spots just a few tips would be great! Tight lines over the weekend!

Cheers

Nick

The paravane/spoon combo is not hard work once you have it all rigged up. You can use small deep divers but they have to get down a fair way to get Doggies excited. I have had success on Rapala Deep Tail dancer running on light braid. Laser Pros are a bit big for most School Macks but the 160 works well on Spotties
    You can use spin rod if it is stiff enough.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Gents.. Doing some trouble shooting myself still.. Question for the guys that have their Yamashita paravanes working.. Did you do any adjusting to the eyelet? Both mine have the slightest of twists.. If you have a look in the photo below you might just make it out. Was thinking maybe hammering them flat on a piece of steel or something.. Thoughts?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386313383.333565.jpg