Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Moreton bay

Re: Trolling Moreton bay

Went out today to try out the yamashita paravains, well I could not get them to work.

Had them rigged as per rosco's guidelines but they just kept spinning and popping out or surfing. Tried with uni and perfection knots but no differance. I know I've got something wrong but stuffed if I know what it is. I even tried the paravain by its self but same result. ??????
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Which part are you tying your line onto Bruce.................?
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Centre rear hole, and main line to front as ring.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Are you running about 5m of line fro paravaine to spoon?

Another thing and no expert. The only time I have used them was on a handline so line was close to the water. Are you sitting rods upright? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nslfishing View Post
    Paravane success!!
    Nslfishing,

Mate good work - did you ever work out why they were spinning (looping) on you in your earlier attempts???

Cheers, Steve

bruce make sure the ring your tying your line on is running straight also,just the slightest bit off and they spin...I run bout 4mtrs of line from paravain to spoon with a swivel half way between paravain and spoon

Guys I've been following this with interest and finally gave the paravanes a run yesterday and couldn't get them to stop spinning. Even cut away the trace line and spoons just to get the boards running straight.. No luck. I bought the Yamashita ones and not sure what to do now. Where do you blokes set the ring? Forward or rear of the groove? Do you use a snap swivel to the main line? Any other tips as I tried everything but no luck. I'm wondering if the ring itself needs to be bent as it may not be straight on the vertical..

Rosco, I set them up as per your earlier post. It was a bit lumpy to be playing around with them by oneself today. Will try a longer leader between the spoon and paravain next.

Jason, the line was running low against the water ill also connect it directly to the main line and remove the leader.

I bought one of those $10 yellow paravanes and ran it straight out of the packet and did not have a problem. I was only travelling about 6-8 knots. Would higher speed be causing other problems?

Hello gents. I tried both the yamashita and the yellow cheapie and found the yellow one easier to use but I have replaced the coast locks with 100lb wire cause I nearly lost the whole rig when a fish pulled the clip open cause they're pretty weak. When tying the knots make sure when your pulling them tight that the friction doesn't cause the line to kink. I found that as rosco said earlier the most important thing is to make sure everything is running perfectly straight. I did have the problem of them spinning and found that when this was happening there were small kinks where I tied the knots and also try twisting the "eye" on the yamashita, very small adjustments to left or right until she tracks straight. When all else fails try goin at a slower speed. If that fails cut it all free and start over making sure everything is straight. I trolled both types side by side and caught equal amounts on both types. Personally I like the way the yamashita "swims" in the water and I reckon (no expert) that the motion of the board might help get the fishes attention. I have my rods just in the rod holders so not sure it matters that the rod tip is high or low from the water. When deploying the boards I get up to around 6knots then let one out for a count of six seconds then another one out for a count of 10. Good luck guys and remember persistence pays off.

Cheers Nic

Don't discount the plastic cheapies. They have been doing the job for a long time. The metal "Huntington" ones are probably the best for getting baits down. The Yamashita ones certainly have the best action
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I wouldn't mind grabbing a couple of parravnes and trying this myself but I'm having a few probs following the rigging set up. Perhaps it might all fall in place when I actually buy one and have a go at rigging it up and swimming it, but would it be possible for some one to attach a diagram or sketch of a correctly rigged parravane set-up please?
    Cheers

Copied this off the net. Mine came with the hook up the same but with the lure already attached. Tied the main line to clip supplied.

Pravane..jpg

the old cheapo paravains are good till you turn corners and the come back out the water..anyone who knows how to fish paravains properly knows that the best strike time for mackerel usin this method is when your turning to go back down the track you just went along..pretty hard to get a strike with your paravain/ spoon out of the water....that's why I say use the yamashita boards as these stay down even hen turning