Thread: Advice For Redcliffe Area

Advice For Redcliffe Area

Hey fellas,

new to this area and forum. Have a 4.5M tinnie and am looking at heading out tomorrow. Was thinking of launching from Clontarf and heading out around there. Would be nice to get onto the snapper but is it a little bit late for them in reasonably close?
    What about Scarby reef... is it worth paying it a visit?

Appreciate any feedback I can get! cheeers.

Re: Advice For Redcliffe Area

Still a few fish getting around in the area. Being dead quite will often improve your catch rate. Boats driving around, anchors being tossed in the water an chains on the side of the boat usually means it will be a slow days fishing.

Few green zones around the redcliffe area to watch out for.

get out there an learn the area and a feed of fish isn't to far away

cheers

Still throw a few plastics around woody point markers. Have heard still few snaps around.
    i dont know about scarby. I can never do any good there.

Thanks for the replys.

Is it best to drift the reef if it's empty out there? how deep is the water at the markers at woody point?

Appreciate the replys.

3-5mtrs deep outside the green zone markers to the green Otter Rock marker. Definitely better to drift if you are using lures.
    The best thing to do at Woody pt is set some crab pots for sandies.
    You can catch snapper right the way along from woody to scarborough , you would prob have more luck fishing the area between margate right up to queens beach
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

G'day Kingcray,

Do you find the weed along the stretch around Margate to make fishing hard.impossible? Last few times I've tried (from June to October) my line/baits have been riddled with the basta$d stuff. Never had a bit,, either, I know there are good catches toi be had, there, but have never had the right conditions. Bloody hard work. Thanks for the advice.

Cuzza

Cuzza
    Yep it sure is a pain in the ass. I just move away from it. It can get really bad fishing the beach at margate at times
    I find the area pretty tough going in general too so i just stick to the river where i know how to find a few fish.
    Tunaticer is your man for fishing the shallows reefs around redcliffe

Thanks for the advice.

Launched at Clontarf yesterday at 10 am, set pots at woody point and drifted around Woody point - Margate in 3.5 - 4M of water with no luck.
    Checked the pots and there were lots of under sized crab but only one legal keeper. Decided to go to Hays inlet and managed to get a 44 CM flathead which turned out to be the only fish of the day. Fishing was slow but got a feed and had a great day on the water.

nice one mate. Thats a reasonable start anyway. The crabs are there but find what depth they are in is the key. Once you work out the area from the bridges at clontarf down through hayes you will find more and more flathead. What did you catch your flatty on?
    Some great mud crabbing in the other nearby creeks also at the right times. Use Google earth.
    Be very careful navigating through 'the wells' under the bridges entering hayes inlet, can be extremely dangerous if you dont know what you are doing

Caught on an atomic 2.5" in pumpkin. Yeah mate I have been into Hayes a few times, I'll only go in there on an incoming tide on the main channel near the fishing platform.

I went quickly up the pine and there were a lot of pots there.. looks like it would be good crabbing.

That bloody weed was even in Cabbage Tree Creek last night. Glad you managed a feed, mate.

Cuzza

Dont feel to bad. I travelled a hundred miles on sunday around the bay and ended up with half dlzen whiting

That ain't fun at all, Seahorse. I just made a new thread asking if others have had the same issues as me of late - bloody quiet!!! Absolutely dill dead. Have heard people from many of the estuaries saying similar. Dunno why.

Cuzza

Not sure if you are aware of rthe green zone in saltwater and fresh water creeks.
    Tight Lines

Split-shot