Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Moreton bay

Re: Trolling Moreton bay

I can't see how these things can so good when they are so touchy.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    I can't see how these things can so good when they are so touchy.
    Its that instability that gives the spoon additional action. Most of the old timers using the cheap plastic ones would hold the line in their hand and work it to give it more action. Does yours break to one side or just trip?
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

If swings back and forth in a arc, but the arc get to the point where it goes past 180 deg then it pops to the surface every time. Does that explanation make sense.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    If swings back and forth in a arc, but the arc get to the point where it goes past 180 deg then it pops to the surface every time. Does that explanation make sense.
    Beats me if its swinging both ways. you're not running an E tec are you?

Get Rosco onto it. If he cant get it to run just take it back
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

will come and grab them off ya bruce and give them a go 1 arvo this week

FWIW, I have one of those yellow paravanes. Today I gave it a run on Moreton and found if you tow it slow, just over idle, or maybe 2-5 knots it was fine with a variety of lures attached. Quicker than that it would turn turtle and surface.

Thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Trolled inside Morton with 2 paravanes on sunday. One was a yamashita, the other, one of the macca stainless steel jobs. I could go up to a little over 5 knots, but then the macca would start to take line at 8lb drag setting. I found the macca dives to about 9-10 meters and the yamnachita to about 6 meters (start to touch bottom and collect grinners).

I attached to the boards with a clip (flexible join) and had no problems with either popping up, even in tight turns. The eye on the yamashita is aligned with the eye facing left-right (just a thought about what may be causing the instability). In fact, even with fish on, they usually didn't trip, the top of the rod just started a different jerky motion. I had about 4-5 m of 70lb trace (with a good swivel 1/2 way) to the spoon on the macca and probably a meter or 2 more on the yamashita. Again another clip to the lure. This is mainly for teeth and also alows me to coil up leader and store paravane and leader in a ziplock till needed.

Net result, 5 schoolies (+1 slipped the hook) (4kg of fillets). 4 on the yamashita, 2 on the macca. I'm not sure if the was the longer trace, the better action, further back behind the boat, a more appropriate depth, or just chance that caused the yamashita to win out, but I will do more experiments. Also I had a halco spoon on the yamashita and a macca on the macca (next time I'll swap).

Thanks again to Rosco and the comments on this thread.

Great result, thanks for posting with all the details. How deep were you trolling?
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Nice work Duncan! I was over there Sunday as well. I got one undersized and a few grinners. I found out the hard way how deep my ones were swimming... Snagged. 😃
    That's a nice fish you caught... Do you mind if I use it for bait.

I started at the top of Morton and had most of my success above Tangalooma. I was trying to stay close to the dropoff, so say 14m, but certainly less than 20m. The previous time I tried, I was going north from the sandhills. This time there were none around there. The macca paravane was causing me to stay a little deeper than I planned, and some of the tight turns were due to unexpected depth changes :-)

Hope this helps.

Anyone trolling with an umbrella rig?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

what is an umbrella rig?

Using the legal amount of hooks of course..
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...light=Umbrella

looks interesting. googled them and had a look at a few. do they get tangled when you troll? is it hard to dehook a fish with all those other sharp points around?

Google images has the depth chart.