Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thousands of netted tailor dumped on Moreton Island

Re: Thousands of netted tailor dumped on Moreton Island

Who is going to Moreton Island this weekend to get some real photos of the fish heaps??
    Jack.

It should not be up to locals on an island to be the people policing a commercial fishing operation. Moreton Bay marine park is National parks zoning so they are firstly responsible and then secondly Fisheries. In other words the zoning is under the National Parks Acts and not the Fisheries Act. The fishermen are licenced under the Fisheries Act and Regs. This use of a bait net in a yellow zone should be stopped and the legislation should be changed. The whole idea of a yellow zone was no commercial fishing. Places like pumistone passage for instance is yellow zone and commercial fishers were paid out for the fact that they could not fish there any more.

I have also heard on the grape vine that the commercial fishermen have been netting the mirrapools and short point area at night time. For those who do not know the mirrapools it is like a lake that opens up to the sea now and again. There used to be a creek running into it 25 years ago. Fish tend to get trapped in it and grow quite large. The fish tend to be dark in colour. The source I have said that it is well known that they net it every year. This area has been a green zone since the new zoning. I am certainly not against commercial fishing on Moreton Island but I am very concerned about any illegal activities that are obviously happening. My contact said that they netted this area a couple of weeks ago. Not good is it.

sunday night at bribie boat ramp there was a dark grey patrol ute with a very large net in the back, bait net mind you, but they didnt take that one with them...
    there is a 9 in the rego number and first letter of the number plate is R
    keep an eye out and do what you wish with this information.

Yesterday I was talking to a delegate from Sunfish and they are putting in some sort of complaint to the relevant authorities.

A bit more news from Moreton Island. Apparently there was a punch up between a member of the pro fishing crew and another male person on Moreton. I don't have any other details but the police have been involved in the dispute. I think it is about time that something is done about the fishing operation on Moreton. I will report back if I hear more.

I received some more info today. One of the locals over at Moreton saw the pro fishermen carrying a taylor net in their boat and they were watching a school of taylor in the yellow zone in front of Heath Island (yellow patch). The net is not a bait net, so they are breaking the law. Why aren't the rangers or fisheries doing something about these idiots. If anyone on here has some pull please inform the authorities.

how did I guess, it will take a rec/ average Joe to step in for something to happen. Reminiscent of something that happened further north a while back. I would live to know who the guy was that stepped in. Congrats to him!!! Bottle of rum to that guy! Thanks for the info bonus.

So did anything ever come of this dumping? Anyone caught?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Thing is that inspite of all the threats of action, Boating and Fisheries are as scarce as hens teeth on the Bay! Rarely do you see one of their boats during the mid week and on weekends it is just the occasional patrol around where the Dads and Mums usually fish.

Cant remember the last time I saw one around Straddy and Moreton. No money for fuel, nowhere near enough of them and they DO steer clear of the Yellow Raincoats and pro netters!

One of these guys lives near me in Raby Bay and he assures me it is a rare day when he is pulled over for a check by B & F!

When you see those mongrel Raincoats plundering the prawns near the POWERLINES and openly running their catches back to a mother boat or to shore with zero interference from Fisheries you can see where the problems lie!

Not the fault of the Fishery guys, just politics with the budgeting!

Bloody sicken 'tis!

ThePinkPanther is correct .

All boils down to insufficient staff as well as money, remember, the can do man sacked / got rid off a lot of people, Queensland Fisheries staff was no exception.

To get into this job, you need to address selection criteria as well as do a psychometric test. The tests seem to be designed for uni students, or military people. The tests are strictly timed.

For one vacancy there may well be couple of hundred applicants, although by law they are required to advertise , most times the position would be taken by someone that is related to someone or already employed in the Government elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post

To get into this job, you need to address selection criteria as well as do a psychometric test. The tests seem to be designed for uni students, or military people. The tests are strictly timed.

For one vacancy there may well be couple of hundred applicants, although by law they are required to advertise , most times the position would be taken by someone that is related to someone or already employed in the Government elsewhere.
    You got some inside information bondy, or just sour grapes?