Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ausfish unofficial catch fish from lures made from sh*t left laying around comp.

Ausfish unofficial catch fish from lures made from sh*t left laying around comp.

Good afternoon gentlemen and ladies,

After watching Pauly on iFish catch snapper using a ring spanner, I thought what other cheap options are around that will catch fish?

So after going to my local $2 shop and a major food retailer that shall remain nameless (neither of which are sponsors) I came up with these two potential fish catching weapons:

Attachment 94658

Yep, $2 and $1.49 respectively, the credit card has been working overtime! After about five minutes of my wife rolling my eyes when I talked about Spanish Mackerel on a set of tongs and a shifter I decided to take this operation into the fishing room.

Several painstaking minutes later and the two fish catching weapons were complete, try not to drool too much ladies and gents as I reveal the supa-tong:

Attachment 94659

The super tong has a big pink squid (obvious I know) and a VMC 9/0 hook with Asari wire core jigging assist cord and 105lb wire. It also has some random wire I found attaching what looks like a normal snapper lead to the tongs but it's really my soon to be patented internal sliding weight system (yep, small snapper lead and light wire). It also has a rubber multi-loop hook holder for increasing hookups (it's a rubber band to make sure the hooks stays put when jigging, not bouncing around all over the place). Total cost: dunno, but not too much.

Next cast your eyes over what would normally be a pretty sh*t shifter but now is a silver and pink mackeral lolly, watch the macks shift into gear when this bad boy gets lowered into the depths (okay even I'll admit that was a terrible pun).

Attachment 94660

Due to exceptionally poor engineering and finishing, I found that this nasty nut turner actually clicks when the bolt-grippy section is left open, beautiful! It basically has all the same stuff as the supa-tong, but with a much smaller squid.

So I've heard a lot of stories about what people can actually catch fish on, but time to put your spare centre console parking change into making some weapons and posting some pics.

Also, the wind has been blowing harder than a Tijuana hooker up here and I've been bored. So keen to see what you come up with, and what you catch on it.

I'm trying for some macks but will hopefully nail a fingermark on the shifter, we'll see..

Re: Ausfish unofficial catch fish from lures made from sh*t left laying around comp.

It must be blowing pretty hard mate...
    I look forward to some reports.

Rob

Re: Ausfish unofficial catch fish from lures made from sh*t left laying around comp.

I once saw a heap of videos on YouTube where Anthony Minnichiello and a mate of his were catching some reef fish on hooks that had Christmas tinsel in them.

Didn't look too hard............

mate, you must be bored... and I must protest as both your lures are utilising an already accepted commercially available lure. pauly had no such bling attached to his ring spanner. how will you know if the fish are going for your knock offs and not the pink squid? I think you will have to remove the squid or be labelled a cheat. back to the drawing board with ya
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Thanks mate, in the interest of laziness I'll leave said squid where it is but will try again without it on version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    mate, you must be bored... and I must protest as both your lures are utilising an already accepted commercially available lure. pauly had no such bling attached to his ring spanner. how will you know if the fish are going for your knock offs and not the pink squid? I think you will have to remove the squid or be labelled a cheat. back to the drawing board with ya

I am liking this!
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    Thanks mate, in the interest of laziness I'll leave said squid where it is but will try again without it on version 2.
    being a bit of a $2 shop fan myself I can safely say that you will need a new spanner and pair of tongs after the first wetting...
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Haha i wouldn't use that shifter for any nuts anyway! I think it will make a pretty good lure though, nice and solid, and if it works really well $2 and a hook etc isn't too bad!

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    being a bit of a $2 shop fan myself I can safely say that you will need a new spanner and pair of tongs after the first wetting...

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    I once saw a heap of videos on YouTube where Anthony Minnichiello and a mate of his were catching some reef fish on hooks that had Christmas tinsel in them.

Didn't look too hard............

You wouldn't be getting your ambitions and capabilities mixed up again would you

Nick,you must be bloody bored or you are into your home brew or both.What you gunna call lure 2 ? The Spanno Spanner ?

Made this out of a piece of Silver rope! Caught a nice Rainbow runner on the first cast. A school of them were cruising off the bow of the tug, all our lures were too big so they wouldn't touch them. Made it to match the size of the bait they were chasing - ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373804059.702736.jpg4/0 hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    Nick,you must be bloody bored or you are into your home brew or both.What you gunna call lure 2 ? The Spanno Spanner ?
    Bit of both Giffo but will be fun to see what can be caught on shiny household items, span no spanner sounds good mate, it it works well it'll be the supa spanno spanner!

Quote Originally Posted by Richo1 View Post
    Made this out of a piece of Silver rope! Caught a nice Rainbow runner on the first cast. A school of them were cruising off the bow of the tug, all our lures were too big so they wouldn't touch them. Made it to match the size of the bait they were chasing - ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373804059.702736.jpg4/0 hook.
    I know a guy that uses rope lures for YFT and works a treat. Local aboriginals here used to use those old plastic six pack holders, tie them around a hook and shred the plastic for macks.

Caught a tuna delivering a yacht back from Hobart on a shreaded VB can wrapped around a hook. We couldn't stop laughing - bloody tasty.

I caught a barra on a predatek viper once .................

- Just kidding
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO