Thread: Fly Fishing NZ

Fly Fishing NZ

I am heading to New Zealand in early September for two weeks holidays.
    We will be motor-homing the South Island.

I need some advise on:-

1. where I can fly fish that time of year ??
    2. can I hire gear there ?
    3. If i should buy my own gear here and take it with me (<$600)
    4. Should I get a guide ?

In other words I need a lot of advise from people who have fished NZ..

Cheers
    Brett

PS. I have mainly fished for Bass, Flathead, Taylor, Gar, Mullet... all about 5 years ago

Re: Fly Fishing NZ

1. Pretty much anywhere (Rivers and lakes) - you will need a permit! I caught trout in a drain running through the middle of a town once!
    2. Yes fly fishing (Trout) in NZ is a big industry and well catered for all your needs.
    3. Buy it there and get 20% Ex R discount!
    4. Highly recommended. Fly fishing in NZ not easy (IMHO) but there can be good rewards to be had. I'll put up a pic tomorrow to whet your appetite.

A good website is:
    http://www.nzfishing.com/index.htm

Be aware they talk about using bait on that website but I cannot ever recall being anywhere where bait is allowed for fresh water fishing, I thought all fishing had to be using artificial lures, although there must be exceptions or else they wouldn't talk about it I guess.

Enjoy and look forward to a report when your done.

Thanks Crunchy for the heads up..

you sound like you have fished there a bit, any advice on guides ??,
    I was thinking of getting a guide for a day, then use his advise for my other outings.

It wont be a designated fishing trip, but hope to wet a line as we slowly make our way around the bottom half of the south island.
    Any areas you could recommend for a few days fishing.

Cheers
    Brett

I mostly fished in the North Island, Taupo area, only a couple of times in the S.I. I haven't fresh water fished there for about 8 years so can't help with a guide recommendations sorry, but I would ask the locals when your over there or in one of the smaller local fishing shops who will point you in the right direction - once they know your not from Auckland they should be pretty helpful.

There are heaps of rivers mate, it will be as simple as driving along one day and spotting a small pool in an otherwise fast flowing river....sneak up and throw a lure in you might surprise yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    I am heading to New Zealand in early September for two weeks holidays.
    We will be motor-homing the South Island.

I need some advise on:-

1. where I can fly fish that time of year ??
    2. can I hire gear there ?
    3. If i should buy my own gear here and take it with me (<$600)
    4. Should I get a guide ?

In other words I need a lot of advise from people who have fished NZ..

Cheers
    Brett

PS. I have mainly fished for Bass, Flathead, Taylor, Gar, Mullet... all about 5 years ago
    So i guess my corona's will be safe up at 1770 this year???

Cobiaman, had to pull out of 1770 this year, too much going on in one month...
    Planing on going to the Strady M&G so will take care of a few coronas there for you !!

Cheers

Fish feeder,

Not sure how good the fishing will be as it may be a little early but if you want to connect with a good guide, try Zane Murfin out of Nelson, his business is Strike Adventures. He will give you good advice, no BS and if it fits your schedule, I thoroughly recommend him as a guide. He supplies all the gear including waders and quality tackle if you don't want the hassles at customs on the way home.

Steve