Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moreton bay for beginners

Moreton bay for beginners

G'day guys

Long time lurker first time poster.

I'm just wanting to pick your brain about The bay.

Have just moved up from Victoria and done a lot of fishing in Port Phillip etc but I am yet to try Moreton.

I'm looking for some info on where to chase a few pinkies/snapper/anything decent in the bay. There is a lot of conflicting info on the net and would like it from the horses mouth.

I mainly fish bait however have just stocked up on some Z man curly tails and plan on flicking a few plastics too.

I'm in a 4.5m front steer tinny with a reasonably deep V. Yammy 40 on the back. Some general areas would be great dont mind if they are in close or out further. Just appreciate the help.

Also what's the best conditions for the bay?

Cheers
    Nick

Re: Moreton bay for beginners

Nick try Peel Island, Mud Island and the Northern end of Macleay Island (Potts or Pats Point depending where your from) Don't know where you are coming from but these are a good starting point. Just beware the green zones in the bay. Also if your down around the southern bay islands study your chart or go and buy Beacon to Beacon. Plenty of stuff to hit/run aground down that way. Weather wise the calmer the better for the northern bay but the southern bay islands you can get away with a fair bit. If you fill in your location details people from that area may offer more advice!

Hey thanks for the info Thelump. I am planning to launch from Manly. I live in indooroopilly so I'm happy to launch from wherever. Cheers. What would be the closest reef to the launch?

Thanks
    Nick

Just try and find a little tinnie with a tent set up blaring acdc at full blast! Once you've found him, just follow him all day....

From Manly closest spots would be Green Island, Harry Atkinson Artificial Reef, and Mud Island.

Here's a map of the bay including green zones (cant fish in green zones)

http://nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/moreto...zoningplus.pdf

hey Nick. You could try sticking a post up in the Going fishing Meet and Greet section next time you are heading out. You never know somebody might be keen to let you follow or tag along and show you 1 or 2 spots to get started.
    Or just head out to mud island and find the guy cobiaman is talking about.
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. I really appreciate it.

Blindfreddy I did have a look at that thread however it seems the original post which I assume was quite extensive and informative has been deleted and the rest of the pages are more or less people thanking the original poster for putting such a great article up! Apparently the original poster "charleville" was banned from the forum for life and a short time before the ban deleted the post.... Bummer.

It wouldn't hurt to get a booklet from the Fisheries that lists the bag limits and legal length of fish as well.

TOL

hey nick. DO NOT follow small tinnie with acdc blasting. come say gidday instead. always happy to exchange info and help if i can. fellas have given you a good run down on where to look so i have nothing of worth to add. would however suggest that you always have a plastic out the back of the boat when you are fishing. it will help you do away with taking stinky bait after a while....
    cheers
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    Just try and find a little tinnie with a tent set up blaring acdc at full blast! Once you've found him, just follow him all day....
    It is funny that you say that Cobiaman. A few months back when I first started fishing Mud I heard reckon I heard "someone" playing acdca fairly loudly. Cant remember what the boat looked like . That was the same week everyone that gave me snapper fishing tips on here said to keep the noise down. I thought at the time if he gets any closer I will move cause he has no idea........... How wrong was I as now I am fairly sure it was the taxman. LOL.
    Cheers Dave

The ac/dc is only for clearing out his spot. Then he changes over to Orinoco Flow by Enya. That's the real taxman there

Thanks fellas! Some great info! Do like a bit of acdc myself! So will be sure to say g'day if I spot you! Heading out on Friday morning so hopefully the weather is ok. Will post some pics and a report! Cheers Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by thelump View Post
    The ac/dc is only for clearing out his spot. Then he changes over to Orinoco Flow by Enya. That's the real taxman there
    geez, you're onto me macca. don't know about the enya tho
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    geez, you're onto me macca. don't know about the enya tho
    Have dave, you,ve always got amy winehouse to fall back to...what kind of f.......ry is this? ha, roy