Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tailor Stocks Hanging by a Thread

Re: Tailor Stocks Hanging by a Thread

Slider to reiterate, i was merely quoting DERMs own words from their report,

suggest you read it, and its easy to declare someones opposing view as a rant or a conspiracy theory, that sort of stuff reminds me of how certain anti fishing groups behave and argue. i personally greatly respect his views on this and his efforts to get sensible outcomes on behalf of people who sensibly use the bay and beaches,

also you proposed closing certain areas at times. (ok i missed a qualifying word)

I can appreciate that nobody wants to see another closure, or any closure. I'm no different in this sense, but we do have to be realistic with regards to the current tailor situation.
    Tangles KFC

A qualifying paragraph I'd say.

A rant you say? Pot calling the kettle black, is what I say. Look at your own first few posts!! No offense intended, as Im sure there was none in your remark directed a me. None was taken.

Tangles is right. Do not ask for increased size limits and decreased bag limits, or more closures, or you may get what you ask for. And most of us don't want and wont accept that.

Lots of people on the recreational fishing sector side thought more marine park "yellow" zones were a good idea because they exclude professional fishers. They saw them as quasi "recreational fishing" havens.

But what they didn't realize is that, to the greenies, today's yellow zones are just one step away from tomorrow's green zones. They suck you in with their position seeming to be reasonable, then next time, those yellow zones are the first candidates to turn green. Bazanga, got you!

Plus, there is the fundamental issue that I mentioned before - the greenies behind marine parks, whether they are green, yellow, or blue zones, don't have fishing interests at heart.

In fact,it is the opposite- they hate us and want all fishing banned. So i won get into bed with them under any circumstances. Yes, i might be jaundiced about this, but let me tell you, get into a room full of these types like I had to for 2 years and they cant hide their real agendas from coming out. I saw them up close and personal, and it was not pretty.

Fisheries can declare recreational fishing havens under Fisheries legislation. But I wont be part of quasi- recreational fishing yellow zones declared under Marine Parks legislation. And i would urge others to consider that position as well.

I will now take you to task about understanding the data presented in your graphs. They do not paint the correct picture. I am not a marine scientist, but I work with statistics and performance data every day. It is my bread and butter.

What I do know about most of those statistics you have presented about tailor is that they unintentionally misrepresent the true picture.

Why? because I know that changes in the way the data was collected have occurred at several points. Changes in rules have occurred at several points. Changes in reporting requirements for the data provided has occurred. Fishing practices have changed.

The data you presented in the graphs is what we would call corrupt without these factors being presented right beside the graphs, and its effects explained.

All of that makes for a different picture than you are portraying with what appear, at face value, to be straightforward statistics.

I know this because the statistics themselves never tell the full story - you need to know the history of events, the background, the methods and practices and how they have varied over the time series of the data you are looking at.

I also know this because i have consulted a senior, respected, well known expert and author on fisheries management in Queensland who DOES know the history and background behind these things. And that's his opinion, too. Not some armchair expert with an agenda. A guy with a real PhD in this very field, as well as being a pretty darn accomplished recreational fisherman too!

My opinion is that you have just enough knowledge of this stuff to present a half credible argument, and really, that's just enough to be just a bit dangerous.

I have resisted coming on here to joust with you because one thing I learnt in the Moreton Bay process is that it is pointless to argue with individuals who have already made up their minds. No matter how much contrary fact you present them with, it makes no difference.

But it concerns me to see other members here being drawn in by what I think is your misguided, though well-intentioned, passion for a cause. I don't want Fisheries, who I am sure are looking at this thread, to get the idea that the is any real level of support for the things you want.

I also want Ausfishers to understand that IMO the argument you have presented is based on flawed data, and the GIGO rule therefore applies.

Thats all from me.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thumbs up Re: Tailor Stocks Hanging by a Thread

R u a member of Pew slides?

Remember ,
    35cms/19 bag for tailor. (in possession)
    1 line in Greenzones
    5 snapper
    No rfl , sip is fine.
    Ta for your representation of me

I do hope Moonlighter got to read my response to his post before it was deleted. Can somebody explain why it was deleted when Moonlighter's has not?
    Guess I'll just have to write it again.

Gazza - nobody can even catch 19 tailor for a start ...

Make the minsize 30cms then?
    AND then they CAN....simple!

OR...If you increase the baglimit to say 40? given your "cant get 19 now"
    Lets tease the poor RecFisho anyways , 40 it is

Geez gazza, dont get too worked up and give yourself a heart attack mate. Why does it bother you when you dont even go fishing???

So you catch cobias, what do you care about tailor?

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    So you catch cobias, what do you care about tailor?
    Tailor are good bait for cobias

Tailor r good eating , cobias are good crab bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Gazza's posts aren't worth replying to.

It's been posted once before but thought it might help more if this were put up at least once on every page.....

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Well i"ll go for the 10 Tailor and 40cm, also close all Netting from Nygala to the Cape for a period of 3 months per year. Get rid of the Netters out of the Great Sandy Straights forever. Oh and while i"m here, raise the Legal Length of Whiting and Bream to 27cms anything smaller is a Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Macks forever View Post
    Thanks for all your info Slider.

How many people reading this, who actually fish for tailor in the surf in Qld, will state categorically that there is no problem with tailor?
    I certainly will not. I agree with Slider.
    Wow, imagine that, folk who actually regularly fish the surf for tailor actually having anecdotal evidence worth considering.....FMD what a revolutionary idea...thanks Macks forever!

Quote Originally Posted by manta man View Post
    Well i"ll go for the 10 Tailor and 40cm, also close all Netting from Nygala to the Cape for a period of 3 months per year. Get rid of the Netters out of the Great Sandy Straights forever. Oh and while i"m here, raise the Legal Length of Whiting and Bream to 27cms anything smaller is a Joke.

2nd that! I agree with all of the above manta Man.

Thumbs down Re: Tailor Stocks Hanging by a Thread

Looks like whiting & bream stocks are "hanging by a thread" too.
    LOL
    Dont worry, I'll wave me magic wand , and have tailor increasing over the next few months , and then I'll summon the summer whiting to make an appearance after that.