Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tailor Stocks Hanging by a Thread

Re: Tailor Stocks Hanging by a Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Yes, well - as of today I am pleased to state that there is no longer any denial from FQ regarding declining tailor catches - at least on the Sunshine Coast. It is also agreed that the technical staff at FQ and myself will meet within the next few weeks to discuss what is occurring and what management meaures can be implemented to reverse the trend.
    While this is pleasing and I take my hat off to the guys at FQ who have instigated this approach, I am also aware that appropriate remedial measures still need to be implemented and that we need to establish what is appropriate. Most would be aware of what I believe to be necessary and I'll naturally be pursuing these objectives, but I will also approach the situation with an open mind. Well, not completely closed anyway.

And while open dialogue relating to tailor is great, there are a number of related issues associated with other species that I hope to address in the process. In particular is mullet netting and the current arrangements that exist.

Guess I can tone down the rhetoric a little now.
    Slider

Sounds like you may have a chance to be heard but if you ever want any support in any shape or form regarding the beach netting in particular tailor please do not hesitate to drop me an email as this is something that has been going on way too long and as we all know if something is not done about it my kids, my grand kids and future generations will not have the chance to enjoy a past time that has been handed down from my father and grand father for some 50yrs.

Cheers
    Keith

What would b the rec take from moreton these days? I can't see it being huge!!!! Then 1 pric pro nets and dumps tonnes at yellowpatch? they are good size fish, just wasted.

Thank you Keith - I do appreciate that and I'll certainly publicise the fact if I need assistance in this regard, but at this point it is appropriate that I work with FQ to address the problem.

The netting of tailor in the ocean haul sector doesn't seem to be a problem anymore - about 850kg off Teewah Beach and 1 tonne from Fraser beaches for instance in 2012 isn't really having much impact Mullet netting is now the most significant problem as far as depleting tailor pops however and I fully intend that this should be addressed.

Must admit to having seen some things at Moreton re QPWS that have absolutely stunned me - which I won't go into but are relevent today and ..... every day.

Again I want to say that you are doing recreational anglers proud with your efforts Lindsay!

As you meet with FQ though just be reminded of Sherry Arnstein's ladder of participation.

As I'm sure you're well aware, so often Government organisations just want us to believe that we are having a say but ladder-of-citizen-participation.gif in reality we are simply being placated in a tokenistic way to settle us down so that we don't keep taking things to the media and embarrassing them.

I actually believe that you need to continue to take this to the media and keep the pressure firmly on the State Government especially as we draw closer to the next federal election. In my opinion there needs to be clear evidence of a shift by DAF or fisheries to move to a place of genuine partnership whereby there is 'real and sustained change' and yes lets continue to encourage a closure (buy back) of mullet netting around our beaches and estuaries as this is really a key issue and is decimating fish stocks.

Only 2 weeks ago a mate of mine witnessed Pro netters at Double Island Point cleaning out the lagoon. They were using a high speed jet boat to scare and round up fish into the gill nets and they ended up with heaps of fish in the nets (according to my mate) but not so many mullet.

This sort of random fish killing has got to come to an end or there will be nothing for any of us let alone Tailor!

Again, well done!!

Mal

Fear not Mal - am one step ahead of you.

Yep, I'm betting you having been placated one too many times!

Glad to hear you are on it as usual.

Be nice if all I got was placated Mal - signs are that nothing so gentle is my lot for a while.

I don't know the migration route of Tailor or how far they go offshore, but you can have all the quota regulation you like but if they stray into international waters and are caught by foreign boats what can you really do to protect them then!

I can remember back in the 1980s seeing beaches lined with anglers some were catching fish into the high hundreds, maybe they are to blame also

No question that the recreational impact has played a roll SandStorm. There's no question either that recs are now going to have to be a part of the solution via reduced bag limits and I would think increased size limits along with further seasonal closures that protect spawning stock. But both sectors will have to take a hit - though a small one when catches are so low anyway. It is probable that the recovery would be slow and the potential exists for it to be many, many years before we see schools of greenbacks in our surf gutters again.

I'd be very doubtful that an offshore migration would be that offshore and that they're being taken in international waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    No question that the recreational impact has played a roll SandStorm. There's no question either that recs are now going to have to be a part of the solution via reduced bag limits and I would think increased size limits along with further seasonal closures that protect spawning stock. But both sectors will have to take a hit - though a small one when catches are so low anyway. It is probable that the recovery would be slow and the potential exists for it to be many, many years before we see schools of greenbacks in our surf gutters again.

I'd be very doubtful that an offshore migration would be that offshore and that they're being taken in international waters.
    Agreed Slider
    I for one support the above. an increased size of 400 - 450 would go long way to helping in my opinion. I have been reading the DPI research data from fraser island tailor and it is documented that adult females spawn at around 250mm long. increasing the limit to 400 - 450 would allow these fish the chance to spawn 2 - 3 times instead of once. do the maths, 1 adult female spawns at 250mm long and can not be caught until it is 400 long means by the time it is caught under increased size limits her 1st offspring have reached the 250mm length allowing them to spawn and suddenly you have the reverse of what is currently happening. The tailor would be reproducing 10 fold and with increased size limits and decreased bag limits and a buy back scheme of pros licences in my opinion would see the stocks return within numbers seen in the 1990's. the science is there but at the end of the day good old common sense rules this one?

What do the commercials sell them for, export, canning, fertilizer? I've never seen one in fishmongers

Exclamation Re: Tailor Stocks Hanging by a Thread

The minsize is NOW(recently raised?)....35cms , thats about right.

"Fish are shrinking"........
    'cause that <35 cm. size is now C&R , with only the BIGGER ones too be kept!!...by law

We'll see how the 2013 Tailor season pans out hey? 2012 was a non event as far as the bigger fish were concerned. They were few and far between.

I'm all for taking a feed of fresh fish and have taken plenty of fresh tailor in my time, but cannot justify to continue doing it to the detriment of the species as a whole. We can bitch and moan about it all we like, but the recreational take of tailor in the current climate exceeds the pro catches. Pro catches in beach nets are devastating because they wipe out entire schools, but the recreational line fishing accounts for tonnes and tonnes of fish too, so the axe must fall on both parties to achieve an acceptable solution.

yep, I wouldn't disagree with a bag reduction/size increase, especially if it is the bargaining tool used to minimize beach netting. The problem is, introducing new rec limits costs $0, buying back licenses cost $$$s, I really hope the recent pressure being applied has a good outcome! I'm dead against any further closures.

I also would be dead against any closures other than seasonal north of Indian Head to Rooney Point to protect spawning stock and 1 year old fish making their way from the Sandy Straights to Sandy Cape during August and September, or September and October.

To my way of thinking that doesn't necessarily mean that fishing can't take place inside this seasonally closed area during the specified months, but the targeting and keeping of tailor could be prohibited for the term of the closure - as per barra.
    It would seem silly to prevent Mr and Mrs Jones and their kids from fishing for whiting with worm along Orchid for instance, when it is only tailor that we are trying to protect.
    Gets a little trickier when slugs or poppers can be used to specifically target gt, goldens, queenies, mackerels in this region during these months and tailor will also obviously take these. But the tailor still can't be legally kept and I don't see this as a significant issue.

This arrangement, in my opinion, should only occur under the circumstance of there being no netting within 500m of the beach north of Ngkala Rocks to Rooney Point. If this condition isn't on the table, then I'd fear for any agreed outcome being attainable.

I would like feedback on this idea of the seasonal closure of tailor only - for or against.

Size limit to 40cm and bag to 10 is where I'd like to see things as a general rule for Qld tailor.

Speaking of closures - the ones at Moreton eastern beach and around the Cape - does anyone know what they're intented to do?