Thread: 2013 AFN Tide and Bite Times QLD - Incorrect Tide Heights and Times

2013 AFN Tide and Bite Times QLD - Incorrect Tide Heights and Times

I brought one of the little AFN Tide and Bite Times books only to find that the time and tide heights listed for QLD were all incorrect. I have no idea how accurate the prediction side of the book is if they can't get the tides right.

Example:
    Today's high, 8th july 2013 BOM: 0923 1.79m, 2152 2.39m
    AFN booklet: 0827 1.5m, 2054 2.1m

When the bigger book first came out a few years back, I was given one for Xmas and it was also incorrect for QLD. It went in the bin, as Freshwater Fishing demanded that I pay for return postage before they would refund our money.

Last Week I rang AFN, KMart and BCF head offices and pointed out the times and heights were still incorrect in the 2013 publication. The books are still on the shelves as of today.

This morning, I showed the local BCF Manager that they were incorrect compared to another brand of pocket tide book available and the BOM. I'll wait to see what happens.

Re: 2013 AFN Tide and Bite Times QLD - Incorrect Tide Heights and Times

Yer I wondered how they get away with it , I have been caught out by them many times ( the fold out shop ones ) says time and clearly is in the middle of a tide , check against bom or paper and it shows the Right time , they would sell a few of them books ya would reckon , the shop ones are free so I don't expect too much

This may be more accurate - http://www.tides4fishing.com/au/queensland/brisbane

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Willys Weather isn't much better. I was fishing the Tweed on the weekend and the tide was exactly an hour later than Willys stated. Very frustrating!

I just had a call from KMart to say they were going to withdraw the Tide book from sale in all their stores.
    It remains to be seen if BCF does the same.
    As far as I'm concerned the booklet is a hazard to boaties.

While I'm at it, beware of one of the large laminated Fish ID and Bag Limits guide on the market. I returned one to BCF, after I found four incorrect sizes for reef species. I only checked it for a few minutes so there was probably more. All the incorrect sizes were misprints and not size changes by Fisheries. Buyer Beware.