Thread: 587 furuno

587 furuno

Just wondering what everyone uses for a through hull transducer? Thanks

Re: 587 furuno

1 kw M260 in a wetbox
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Giday mate depending on what sort of depths you will be fishing, but I ran the normal 200 kHz tranny u get with the sounder in hull through my cruise craft hull and got a good reading at speed and slow sounding. this was in 45-70 m on water. Set up was a glassed in wet box filled with cooking oil.

cheers mate.

im looking at getting a matched pair of ss264N

meant to be the best..
    IF YOU WANT TO CATCH FISH YOU HAVE TO DRINK LIKE A FISH....HANG ON....MAYBE THAT WAS THINK LIKE A FISH??

Mainly fishing anything from 3m to 150. Been recommended to stick with 600w

If you have the cash I would go the 1 kw wet box transducer, better performance in deep water, also have the advantage of good bottom readings at speed. Below is a pic from my HDS10 close to a 100 m.

Cheers Don.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would probably only fish anything over a 100m twice a year if I'm lucky.

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

I would recommend to get the best out of your 587 sounder to get a 1kw if you can afford it.
    You will see a big difference. I fish with both 600w and 1Kw transducers on 2 different sounders and the 1Kw leaves the other for dead.
    Just my opinion. Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

bigjimg what do you mean by the 1kw leaves the 600w for dead. Are we talking clarity on screen at speed, etc.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNkelly View Post
    im looking at getting a matched pair of ss264N

meant to be the best..
    Love to know more about these and the Wide beam.

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Almako View Post
    bigjimg what do you mean by the 1kw leaves the 600w for dead. Are we talking clarity on screen at speed, etc.
    Cheers
    Almako
    In terms of picture clarity, definition, picture quality in depths of 100m + and readings at speed. Being able to identify individual fish around bait schools. This is clearly evident when you can compare to the other sounder. For me it opened up a whole new world and I won't be going back. When the old Navman Trackfish packs it in I'll go to a 7 inch screen and run another 1 Kw transducer from the Airmar stable. Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimg View Post
    Almako
    In terms of picture clarity, definition, picture quality in depths of 100m + and readings at speed. Being able to identify individual fish around bait schools. This is clearly evident when you can compare to the other sounder. For me it opened up a whole new world and I won't be going back. When the old Navman Trackfish packs it in I'll go to a 7 inch screen and run another 1 Kw transducer from the Airmar stable. Jim
    So the difference is only a 100 plus?

Quote Originally Posted by Schulzy View Post
    So the difference is only a 100 plus?
    I've got the same as Garry, 585 with a m260, i had the p66 before the 260. Better picture imo in anything over about 40 metres

Ok cheers I called up trymax and they reckon a 600 w will do the job where does everyone get there transducers from

Got a pack with the Airmar and 620 from Trymax. Where it is mounted now I will show a clear pic at 60kph - out in the bay the other day and even in whitecap short chop at 45kph it was showing a nice bottom pic.

I know when the 620 shows fish its worth fishing - it has proven to be accurate time and again inshore.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing