Thread: Another Fraser Island Camping Question

Another Fraser Island Camping Question

Gday fellas,

Look ive searched and cant find an answer to my exact question...

Basically, We are planning to be at Fraser over new years and we are taking 2 cars, 1 with the boat and 1 with a camper trailer.

Now Waddy Pt Camp zone is good for the boat, but we didnt generally like camping on the grass with no Ocean View. We ended up doing some camping along the Eastern Beach and found that to be Perfect.. But not easy to get the boat up Indian Head every time you want to go for a fish.

So basically, my question is.. Can you get access via the beach for the boat to get up to Marloo Bay, or the other beach front sites up near Waddy Pt/Orchid Beach??

Re: Another Fraser Island Camping Question

Owen.

The only real option for launching a boat is Waddy Gutter.

To get views and beach front you'll have to camp at Waddy Beach front, ( not Waddy camp ground... 2 different areas ) but there is only 2 sites I believe that are camper trailer friendly.

You could push up to Orchid Beach and Ocean Lake camp grounds, which are OK, but the " ramp " up to the site, although short, will be steep. And turning around etc will be an issue.

The other option is to rent a house at Orchid Beach...... just for say 2 familes, and that way some don't have to take campers and it will be ideal to keep the boat out of harms way and close to the water. A house at Christmas time is great, due to some days / evenings being hot and houses have fans and air cons

I actually didn't quite understand the question, though ?????

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Thanks Phill.

Basically, we camped in the beach front Waddy Pt but it was grass camping where you couldnt deploy a camper trailer. The Camper trailer site for Waddy Pt was up the hill behind the beach front camping..

I did see boats coming from north of Waddy along the Beach, are you telling me there is more camping areas up that way?

We thought about the house option but the group loves roughing it camping for a couple of weeks. Sure she may get hot but thats why we have an ocean to swim in haha!

Cheers Phill.

There is plenty of camping spots at Ocean Lake... a few k's north of Orchid.

have camped there a few times. It is hard to explain, but you can go up the dune to camp spot and drive along for a hundred ,meters or so and there is another down ramp / access to beach.

What this means is you won't have to turn the boat around, just need to drive up one way and exit along a bit further, but if you have a few camper trailers / sites there it won't be an issue.

The camp site we used is only 100 mtrs from the Ocean Lake entrance and is located atop the dunes with views to die for, plus the added protection of a few Sheoaks. Think all up it was 5 k's back to Waddy ??????? maybe a bit more, but we could access Waddy Gutter by running the beach all the way.

I'll attempt to find pics and email them to you.

cheers

Found some............ email sent..........

cheers

Marloo camping ground and southern end of Ocean lake is the go. Plenty of boats reside there in the past, Marloo could be the easier of the 2 for a large boat and plenty of room for camper trailers and what ever else u have.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Trying to get one of those boat friendly spots at new years could be hard though. I got up there this year on Jan 2nd and all areas north of Waddy were pretty much full. We scored a good spot in the Duling zone as someone had just left, but I'd imagine in the days leading up to new years, you wouldnt get much of a choice on spots.

Thanks Fellas. To get to Ocean Lake do I head down the track to Waddy pt beach, and then simply head up the beach? Or do I continue through the inland track?

Sounds like I have our planned camping spot confirmed

Cheers

Just get to the beach at Waddy and head North mate. Plenty of good spots starting from just after the North Ramp all the way up to Ngkala. Just have to see what the conditions are like and also the crowds, its pretty slim pickings from boxing day onward. What date you planning on heading up? See you up there!

We are heading up a couple days before Xmas.

So probably 21st through to about the 10th jan. roughly.

By all means see ya there mate, amazing the amount of people you meet on a camping trip.

You should get pick of the spots then! It is pretty dead up that way until boxing day, hopefully the weather is good to get out for a fish as well!

Cheers

Owen... I have plans to be on Fraser on the 31st Dec 2013.( see in the new year again )

Where ?????? somewhere between Happy Valley and Ngala Rocks...

cheers Phill ( vhf 40 at all times for me )

Nice Phill!! If you can spare a couple of hours and theres a good weather window, you are more than welcome to join me for a flick mate.

Mustang5 I will be on the island on 26 dec till 5 Jan camping north of Ocean Lake. These sites are no good to you as they have a bit of a dune attack before campsite. But Marloo would be good, as it only a metre or so to drive over with the boat. Hopefully I will get a new plate alloy to drag up there, if not I will be all over sandy cape like a rash..
    but if ur heading up around 22-23 dec you should get a real good pick of sites
    Humility is not a weather condition.