Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Measuring fish QLD Gov Site

Re: Measuring fish QLD Gov Site

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOEY View Post
    Is the fish measured to the tip of the tail as it lays naturally?(I would assume so) In the top pic if you squashed the tail together you would get another cm! Ben
    And if you cut its throat and gave it a stretch you could easily get another 2cm out of it.

Yep, aware of that marto78 but not what I was asking. There is still a grey area here. Ben

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    You can't fillet your fish on a boat, land base you can.
    You can.. Just more regs but - http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_3054.htm

Old post on it with reply from fisheries on pg 2.
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ne-fillet-fish

Why don't they measure to the inside of the fin on fish with tails like bream etc like they do with sandcrabs and fish with tails like whiting get measured to the end of tail, but like many have said who wants too keep 10 just legal "have to be measured to be sure" fish anyway, many on here wouldn't be the culprits anyway! But yeah some interesting scenarios tho!

This is one area that doesn't affect me, nor am I concerned about being 'inspected by fisheries'

You've got to be able to catch proper fish before these rules apply..

No-one gives a 5hit about the grinners I catch and throw back,

S***fish & chippy

Quote Originally Posted by fish'n'chippy View Post
    This is one area that doesn't affect me, nor am I concerned about being 'inspected by fisheries'

You've got to be able to catch proper fish before these rules apply..

No-one gives a 5hit about the grinners I catch and throw back,

Right on !! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SFChippy.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	94314
    Cheers

Trev

Guys,

It all comes down to interpretation and the individual FQ officer.

I don't know anyone personally that has been fined for 1 undersize fish, nor have I heard a story of a legal fish shrinking and then being measured by FQ an ending up in court etc.

The topic is purely about the way to measure a fish caught by a recreational angler in Qld, supported by the Law.

The thread starter was measuring his fish to the fork, which is not a bad idea and in most " scientific research " cases, fork length is the standard.

If one is that desperate to " stretch " a just under fish........ fine, you are not going to desimate the fishery, but you have to live with it.

The guidelines state that a fish needs to measured legally by a wooden frame and steel inlay. This is purely for the Patrol Officers, it has to be their standard. It is up to the individual angler to make sure their fish is of a legal length.... in possession.

I am certain FQ officers understand the shrinkage issue, as well as fish shrinkage..... ( yep, a lame joke, but I laughed )

All anglers have different experience and skill levels. Most stick very close to the rules and regs and have a good working knowledge of those. Some choose to ignore rules etc. Some just don't know. If you are happy in your way of measuring fish, that is fine.

I find the wooden frame version too bulky to keep on board the boat, hence I use an Alvey plastic ruler and a steel tape measure... but mostly, I use experience to look at the fish and make a call. If I have to drag the tape measure out........ it usually goes spot on or under. Save the trouble, throw it back, ReBait and dong a well-over legal size... to be sure.to be sure !

IMO.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I am more worried about fish being over size rather than undersize. sunday last week is a prime example. fish landed measured 69 on the boat so I stuck around looking for a plus 70 to go with it. at home it measured 71 so I was lucky I didn't get another. the fact that you can manipulate the tail (like dicktracey) is a little disconcerting. whilst I may measure a fish as it lays naturally, what is to stop a fisheries officer with a hitler psychosis stretching the tail back a bit and making it over size? I would prefer measuring to the fork rather than the tip to do away with this possibility.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    I am more worried about fish being over size rather than undersize.
    HaHaHa....that's gold mate

G
    S***fish & chippy

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    I am more worried about fish being over size rather than undersize. sunday last week is a prime example. fish landed measured 69 on the boat so I stuck around looking for a plus 70 to go with it. at home it measured 71 so I was lucky I didn't get another. the fact that you can manipulate the tail (like dicktracey) is a little disconcerting. whilst I may measure a fish as it lays naturally, what is to stop a fisheries officer with a hitler psychosis stretching the tail back a bit and making it over size? I would prefer measuring to the fork rather than the tip to do away with this possibility.
    lol, if only i had your worries!

The question Blooey poses is a good one. I have seen manipulation of the fishes caudal tail often on charter boats as standard practice for Total length. I can see the benefits of this as it will be a very specific way to measure fish with limited variation in the technique between measures. Measuring fish in their relaxed can result in variation in length from the one fish as there are differences in how the fish lies on the measuring device. This may be particularly evident between the angler and the fisheries measurements. agree fork length is better but some species are not suited. However, all is not an issue if you return the fish that are close to minimum size anyway as others have noted.

Interpretation... In my opinion, my first take on the text that says "taken at extreme tip of the tail", suggests that it implies measured in a 'stretched' state. "Extreme" adds definition. On my second take, 'extreme' merely is another way of saying 'furthest most' tip of tail.
    No where does the text imply either 'natural' or 'stretched' state. Pretty grey, if yo ask me.

If you have to think about measuring them ...... Throw em' back !