Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double Island lagoon hammered again by Pro Netters and Teewah Beach a tad slow

Re: Double Island lagoon hammered again by Pro Netters and Teewah Beach a tad slow

Also can u put a boat in that lagoon then head offshore? Or is it all closed off at the moment except at high tide?

Re: Double Island lagoon hammered again by Pro Netters and Teewah Beach a tad slow

I went to take my 6yr old son to the lagoon at DI on the weekend and came across an pro netter.
    I was chucking my cast net to get some livies for flathead and this pro drove straight in and dumped his boat in lagoon across other side, then yelled across oi im going to run my net there, so i yelled back so, sounds like your going to stop me, his reply was nah yah F###WIT But how bout you F### off anyway..................................
    I had my 6yr old as i said so what was i going to do.A few choice words back from me and i was off.I fair dinkom wanted to smack this C###heads lights out.
    He raped the whole lagoon and acted in a way that he owned the place.
    You tell me is this right.

That's a total shocker mate
    and I'd have seriously considered taking that to Fisheries/local politicians etc if that had happened to me and my kids.

Same thing happened to a mate of mine though they were not so rude. He was nicely bribed to move on by being offered some fish.

I have spoken to someone in the know and apparently it turns out that they are not allowed to pull their net within 200mtrs of a fisherman or member of the public in the area so he needed to get you to move or he could not legally do his netting.

Speaking with the Ranger at DI Point the other week turns out a number of them have been abused by Pro's in the DI Point area over various things.

As for if they are doing it legally the answer is pretty much yes but the question is: "are they releasing the undersized fish???" When my mate witnessed these guys he did not see them sort the fish after netting them and reckoned they just took off but did not go over and look specifically so there was no certainty of what took place either way (although most often the whole experience of being dragged around in a mullet sized gill net kills most small fish anyway including undersized and all!!!).

If you suspect anything illegal from either pro's or rec guys be sure and call the fish watch hotline asap on: 1800 017 116. Every rec fisho should have this number in their mobile phone I reckon. Also its well worth taking a quick video or photo of anything illegal you see as then there is proof.

Also can u put a boat in that lagoon then head offshore?
    Or is it all closed off at the moment except at high tide?
    When I was up there 2 weeks back you could but I did not check depths at various tide stages etc. Stick with the top half of the tides and you should be fine I'd reckon depending how big your boat is.

Thanks for your help mate! Once in there can u get out around and offshore from there easily? Thanks bud!

Thanks for your help mate! Once in there can u get out around and offshore from there easily? Thanks bud!
    Yes no probs judging by having watched others do it but keep in mind that with each new swell the conditions change and so does the outlet/inlet to the lagoon and on my last trip up I never saw anyone doing it but other trips have seen people doing so.