Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 70 series landcruiser fuel economy

70 series landcruiser fuel economy

Hey guys I just put a deposit on a dual cab landcruiser. Can anybody give me some info on how many k's I can expect from a 130l tank? Would love to hear from some owners. I need it for towing but it will be my everyday work car around suburbia. I'm getting cold feet about it. Thanks in advance!

Re: 70 series landcruiser fuel economy

Hi mate,

No cold feet mate, you will love the V8!!... .just got a 76 GXL last month so havent put too many miles on it yet, all i can say is its not much more than the old 3.0 Patrol it replaced, seems quite similar, cant give you the figures as dont really worry about it, but around town doing the usual standard 500 klicks a week it seems im putting the same amount of bucks into it for half a tank of 130 lires like the Patrol. Actually im quite surprised that it seems to be about the same, have noticed that with towing its better than the 3.0 Patrol with the fuel as doing it easier... maybe look at the Lcool forum to get more info. They have a few threads on fuel economy

Dont reckon you will regret it.
    Tangles KFC

Thanks mate I tried joining that forum but it won't let me join. Thanks for your input!

it takes a while for that forum for them to get back, by the time they signed me up i had the car

Mike
    Tangles KFC

Why don't you both turn in your AF badges and go and join your girlie little car forum then?

Muddy you know you want a landy, it doesnt talk and will give Cobiaman a slap when he snores on the trip u to 1770
    Tangles KFC

You damn straight I want a LC mate!!!!

I've got one as a work car and I reckon they're great................If you ever want to swap back for a Patrol just ring mate. I'd happily swap.

What kind cruiser do u use at work muddy?

When they first came out they gave me a 200 series and as it seemed it was to good to be true, a paperwork screw up saw it taken off me after a few months so now I've got a 70 series.

As for the economy I wouldn't call it fantastic or anything, it drinks what you'd expect a V8 to drink like. I've never towed with it before though so can't comment on that but I do know if you put the foot down (hypothetically if it was a company car) the fuel gauge will drop accordingly.
    Just another thing too mate............all the utes at work that carry a heavyish payload all the time e.g fitters ute full of tools, quickly got saggy rear ends early on so they replaced all of ours with heavier leafs in the back.

Cheers bud! I am expecting it to be a v8 and all but I am hoping for at least 1000km out of a 130l tank, I dunno if I'm asking for a little too much but I don't want it to burn a massive hole in my pocket. On mine ill probably have about 300kg constant in my tray..

Ive got the v8 ute my 12 and i average about 11 to 13 k's per litre around town with 500 kg's on the back , when i first got it took it on a long run empty and averaged 11.5 litres per hundred . Towing a 3 ton boat averaged about 16 to18 l per hundred , i try and sit on about 95 km is where it gets it best economy .
    I have since fitted a scan gauge and that helps to monitor your fuel usage , if you drive them hard they don't mind a drink .
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

Cheers dave that's some good info right there!

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    When they first came out they gave me a 200 series and as it seemed it was to good to be true, a paper screwup saw it taken off me after a few months so now I've got a 70 series.

Is that what they call you ......

I just can't understand why anyone would want to drop that massive amount of coin (nearly $70K base price) in a vehicle that has significantly lower power and torque and worse fuel economy than most of the competition, A/C and a tray is an (expensive) option and it drives like (actually, I reckon worse than) a truck and the cab is noisy as hell on the highway.

5th (top gear) is too low - it sits ~2,500rpm on the highway and the long throw shift feels like is came off an MF tractor from the 50's. Why Toyota decided to significantly derate the donk from the 200 series is beyond me. If they kept it in the 200 series tune, you could overlook some of the above.

If you spent most of your time off road, I could understand to a degree - they are tough as nails and a snorkel and front and rear lockers are standard.

After putting some hours in a mates 70, it just confirmed that it fell into the same category at the Hilux. Overpriced, overrated and underpowered when compared to the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    When they first came out they gave me a 200 series and as it seemed it was to good to be true, a paperwork screw up saw it taken off me after a few months so now I've got a 70 series.

As for the economy I wouldn't call it fantastic or anything, it drinks what you'd expect a V8 to drink like. I've never towed with it before though so can't comment on that but I do know if you put the foot down (hypothetically if it was a company car) the fuel gauge will drop accordingly.
    Just another thing too mate............all the utes at work that carry a heavyish payload all the time e.g fitters ute full of tools, quickly got saggy rear ends early on so they replaced all of ours with heavier leafs in the back.

I think it may have been video footage............