Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 70 series landcruiser fuel economy

Re: 70 series landcruiser fuel economy

Under 100 they use low teens , if your like me with a heavy foot make sure you have a heavy wallet ..105 - 15-17 , any more and it will drink in the 20s , great for what they are but never again...hence just got a ranger , pulls my 7.5 at 110 with cruise on and no gear changes ...12 litres /hundred .,unloaded 7s and @120 high 9s .durability well I will tell you next year .
    Most people I know get around 800- 900 out of both tanks .

In seriousness I justcant bring myself to driving that slow for economy.and being 6.4 the driving position does my head in , each to their own , pretty tough truck .Toyota won't be making a new one , they are just going to sell it as is until noone buys them anymore.with safety the way it is no mine will buy em.enjoy em while they last

Couldn't agree more mutineer. Same story with a Navara - right on the weight limit and will use 13-15L per 100km all day and that's in an auto.

Not towing anything, but with 100kg or so in the tray and a couple of pax will see 7-8L per 100km all day.

Not sure what the de-rating of the V8 (in 70/76 Series) does to the economy, but extremely happy with how the donk performs in the LC200 when towing - with great economy too considering it is new and has a lot of loosening up to do.

Towing 3t boat up to Agnes from Brissy, at the limit all the way, used ~91 L but this included ~35-40km of local driving (where it drinks a lot!).

Coming home, all towing except for 3km, used 86L! Driving time excluding stops a smidgen under 6 hrs. Did both trips (up & back) faster, much easier and used less fuel than the 3.2 DiD Paj I had previously - however it does have a serious amount of torque and double the cylinders of the Pajero.

Did not use c/control, drove in manual mode 4th & 5th, watched the changes to optimise T/C lock-up in the tranny.

Very happy with that considering the dealer said not to look at the economy for the first 3 - 5000km.
    cheers
    Brendon

Quote Originally Posted by hooknpull View Post
    Hey guys I just put a deposit on a dual cab landcruiser. Can anybody give me some info on how many k's I can expect from a 130l tank? !
    About 130km.

79 series V8 dual cab with chip exhaust but standard otherwise, 12000 km's on the clock. 3.5t boat -19l/100km up to 1770 sitting on 95km/h

around town and highway a fraction over 1000km per tank.

What chip and exhaust mate? I get same figures with mine standard with only bar work and loaded for work...

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh what a feeling yes in my family a Corolla Seca Light Ace van and two landcruisers,Hilly

Tune it from memory... Will confirm tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by morphias View Post
    I just can't understand why anyone would want to drop that massive amount of coin (nearly $70K base price) in a vehicle that has significantly lower power and torque and worse fuel economy than most of the competition, A/C and a tray is an (expensive) option and it drives like (actually, I reckon worse than) a truck and the cab is noisy as hell on the highway.

5th (top gear) is too low - it sits ~2,500rpm on the highway and the long throw shift feels like is came off an MF tractor from the 50's. Why Toyota decided to significantly derate the donk from the 200 series is beyond me. If they kept it in the 200 series tune, you could overlook some of the above.

If you spent most of your time off road, I could understand to a degree - they are tough as nails and a snorkel and front and rear lockers are standard.

After putting some hours in a mates 70, it just confirmed that it fell into the same category at the Hilux. Overpriced, overrated and underpowered when compared to the alternatives.
    When you run a tool shop on wheels that rarely sees the road, there's nothing quite like one. Horses for course, clearly you only need a pony.

Just got into a 76 series with all the fruit and love it! Anyone who thinks they don't have torque has never driven one.... On paper they may have slightly
    less max torque than your rangers and BT 50's but the torque is available from very low end revs.... You don't have to ring its neck to get the 450nm... In short it has incredibly more 'usable' torque.
    Fuel usage is exactly 13ltrs/100km with a mix of city and highway... Can't comment on towing yet but I'm expecting 16 to 17's

Blog Entries

its so funny how the people who bag cruisers don't realise the way of the car wars, since way before me driving a couple of yrs now,44 yrs to be honest i noticed how some people would say things like i would only drive a Ford, only to have the next bloke say wake up mate Holden drives better better econ more power and so on and so on yes and now we have still the same talk about 4x4 i have been driving the same 4x4 for 34 yrs and i don't see the value in a 70 80 or $90.000 vehicle and i could buy 2 if i wanted to nissan put a turbo in their 83 3.2 powered patrol ttt they were nissan or ford ttt and all the other mobs and believe me i could go on about all 4x4 all day one bloke gets so much more fuel wise out of his compared to his mate driving the same 4x4 funny don't you recon i towed a 19c fully loaded around aus and never spent a cent on any part fuel and after new oil and filters thats it but people some people did not like my 4x4 i still drive it the bloke that got his 3 yrs after me doesn't i have now done 1.2 million klms ill say no more cheers the 60 series Landcruiser man G.R.HILL

But where can you find good 60 series which havent had a hard life
    Tangles KFC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    But where can you find good 60 series which havent had a hard life
    there is a good one a mt Tamborine $10 500 anothe at Shailer Park turbo done 220 000 $11 200 and another at chermside $9900 thats about what you will have to pay for a good one but the norm is not nice in qld there is to many beautiful islands and beaches you can drive on my latest cruiser came from Victiria i now have 3 60 series all diesel one for the beach and one for Sundays the other im selling
    cheers .Hilly