Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 70 series landcruiser fuel economy

Re: 70 series landcruiser fuel economy

No need to thanks me Muddy - it was my pleasure....

I got a 09 GX Ute and i used to get around 1250/1300kms out of 160L, since going to 33 inch muddies and lifting it 2 inches i am now flat getting 1000kms out of the 160L.

Once i have gone around Australia (May 2014 leave date) i will be changing back to 31" tyres see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by morphias View Post
    I just can't understand why anyone would want to drop that massive amount of coin (nearly $70K base price) in a vehicle that has significantly lower power and torque and worse fuel economy than most of the competition, A/C and a tray is an (expensive) option and it drives like (actually, I reckon worse than) a truck and the cab is noisy as hell on the highway.

5th (top gear) is too low - it sits ~2,500rpm on the highway and the long throw shift feels like is came off an MF tractor from the 50's. Why Toyota decided to significantly derate the donk from the 200 series is beyond me. If they kept it in the 200 series tune, you could overlook some of the above.

If you spent most of your time off road, I could understand to a degree - they are tough as nails and a snorkel and front and rear lockers are standard.

After putting some hours in a mates 70, it just confirmed that it fell into the same category at the Hilux. Overpriced, overrated and underpowered when compared to the alternatives.
    They made them for the mines hi lux is the same all the other utes like rangers etc are pretty average out side of brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by Schulzy View Post
    They made them for the mines hi lux is the same all the other utes like rangers etc are pretty average out side of brisbane
    Yep. Like I said:

"If you spent most of your time off road, I could understand to a degree - they are tough as nails and a snorkel and front and rear lockers are standard."

As a daily driver on the road, they suck.

But the question was after fuel economy mate.. I have been in them and already know what I'm getting myself in for. Every owner I know says they love them and will never change. Only people who seem to bag them are people who don't own one...

Quote Originally Posted by hooknpull View Post
    But the question was after fuel economy mate.. I have been in them and already know what I'm getting myself in for. Every owner I know says they love them and will never change. Only people who seem to bag them are people who don't own one...
    I would say that they're Toyota people and will love anything with the Toyota badge, this doesn't make them a good vehicle, it just makes them infallible in some peoples eyes. It's a blind love.....

Based on the figures quoted so far in this thread, I reckon you will only just pull your 1000k per tank, if you drive nicely, pull a biggish boat with a load in the tray and a few passengers to fill the back seats and you won't go close

Quote Originally Posted by Just_chips View Post
    I would say that they're Toyota people and will love anything with the Toyota badge, this doesn't make them a good vehicle, it just makes them infallible in some peoples eyes. It's a blind love.....
    Exactly my point... I tried them and CHOOSE not to own one and never would unless I move onto a cattle station or somewhere similar.

Fella I know had a ute three inch lift 33s averaged between 12.5 and 17 towing bush bashing sand driving highway

Quote Originally Posted by hooknpull View Post
    Thats right!!!! Jealousy is a curse!

Hey guys just letting everyone know that I filled the ute up for the first time and got 13l/100km which should come down as it loosens up.. Also if u need to carry a lot of weight for work or the occasional fattys in the back that u pic up on a night out on the turps, u will need the rear leafs upgraded.. Cheers

Just another update guys.. Driving everyday revving to 2500-3000 I pull 12l/100km and the lowest I have seen which was driving with 300km highway driving pulled 11.5l/100km. Best car I have had so far and haven't turned back.. I didn't really think that when towing my boat I wouldn't be able to feel it but when towing I genuinely can't feel it there even when taking off. Of coarse I can feel if its windy and sways but as for pulling it is awesome. Cheers

Used 85 litres towing a 2 tonne boat up to Agnes, sat on 90-95.. On the way back put the boot in more to see how it went with the economy, mainly 95-100 klcks and as expected used a lot more,
    Tangles KFC

I'm driving home now from coffs pulling my boat with my car full of tools and material and doing 20l/km with the boat which I'm happy with I'm sitting on the limit maybe a little over.. Having a rest atm.. Anyways check out the catch!
    Attached Images Attached Images

not 20l/km surely.

Some nice fish there. well done mate.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.