Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado 6 speed auto gearbox.

Colorado 6 speed auto gearbox.

Anybody know were this box originates.

I heard it is used in a lot of other and bigger 4x4 vehicles.

I would like to know a bit more about it.

Anyone got an opinion?????????

Have fun Haji-Baba.

Re: Colorado 6 speed auto gearbox.

I've done 20,000 km with mine and it's not missed a beat. Some light towing, and some good sand work. As to origin, not a clue.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Hello TimiBoy,

Just a note to add to the story, it appears that the box is an Allison 2000 what ever they are.

Used in busses and lite trucks up to 15,000 kgs'. Apparently bullet proof, I hope. The same box or similar is used in Silverados and some V8 Commodores, Bmw and other vehicles.

Could be made in France, Thailand, China and even Brazil.

If all the info I have been able to glean is legit. I am sure we have little to worry about.

Any way my Colorado has done some long distance towing now and I am very pleased with it.

Pulling just on 2 tonne at about 100 kms' ph, 13.18 liters per hundred kms'.

That included about 300 kms' paddock work in low or second gear.

I am pleased with the overall performance.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Hey Haji
    How ya doin Old mate. Im interested in this, as Im getting a 6 speed auto Crew Cab,next month. Ive had 2 rodeo/colorados now (2007 onwards 3 litre turbo , both been brilliant. what do you think of the new 2.8 l motor, and where are they made? Also the turning circle on the newie is vastly improved too I'm told/
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Turning circle is amazing.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Hey John, good to hear from you.

Yes I am very pleased with our new ute, it goes very well, and good on fuel.
    Turning circle, I am not sure of.
    Probably tends to understeer a little compared with the old 80 series cruiser.
    But that could be the tyres. Or me.
    I have only done 10,000 ks so far and still learning to drive it.
    It sure can pull and can easily reach well over the 100 in fourth going up a hill with the van and tinnie on that would have had the old 80 down to third or less and struggling.

Have changed the engine oil and filter at 7,000 because I couldn't believe a new motor doing 15,000 before an oil change.

The only other vehicle I looked at was the BT50 Mazda but couldn't get it in auto with the big tray. I wanted the "space cab" for security and only two of us now so it is just ideal.
    All our extra gear fits in the tray with room to spare and the Engle and Gennie in the cab behind the front seats for security. Cameras and valuables go in there too.
    Have a "letaunaeu" ??? cover over the tray back and raised the sides 80 mm to accommodate gear boxes and outboard motor etc.

Took two mates out to Goondiwindi a week ago and the samller sat behind the passenger seat no worries. I am about 18 stone and 6 foot and I sat in there for one part of the trip.
    Not the best seat in the house but it works.

Also it cost new, $37,400.00. 2012 build first reg. in Jan. 2013 delivered one month after ordering in Brisbane.

Came complete with tray, Just over 6 feet 2 inches long and just under 6 feet wide.
    Tow bar fitted and wired inclusive in the price.

I fitted two of those Rhino side bins under the tray for extra battery and rope locker..

Complaints, Fuel filler pipe to tank was restricted, since rectified.
    Curved side mirrors a real P.I.A. Dangerous. And a curse to reverse the Van or
    Haines.
    Not good in shopping centres trying to load groceries in car park spaces with
    another car parked in the next space.

Other wise all well.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Great report! I was wondering about the second battery, as I suspect no way to get under the bonnet?
    Im getting a tub with tub liner as well as Ive had two of those and it works ok for me. Im quite exited about the 6 speed gearbox as Im thinking it will be a dream to drive after the manuals ive had in recent years. So do you have any research on where this 2.8 litre diesel motor is from?

John

Hi! Odes, best I can find,
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    "Hang onto your chair" "Both hands." Sitting down????????

Motor, Fiat design, is/was used in some Jeeps in The States, and European cars, apparently a proven motor. Supposedly made in Europe, Brazil, Mexico, U. S. A. ????????
    You would probably never know.
    Car manufactured in Thialand
    I can tell you it pulls like a 14 year old with a new stick book.

(Eg. Cummings, 650 Hp. Diesel made in India. Stamped on the motor block of a road train.)

(Best place to buy Caterpillar Parts, Indonesia.)

18 years ago, 1995, We drove a Mobile home for 20.000 ks' through Europe, 17 countries.

2.5 liter Diesel Fiat motor, Turbo, East west engine, front wheel drive, three axels, 6 wheels,
    3.6 tonnes, cruised at 110 km ph. 30 miles to the gallon. 27 foot long. Couldn't believe it.
    Went up all the hills in Switzerland no problem, got a bit hot.
    Left hand drive.
    At one spot I had to back up to get around a corner on a mountain road, high, you better believe it .
    Diesel then was $160 per liter.

Longevity for this Colorado motor, we will see.

Have fun Haji-Baba

The 2.8 Duramax motor is Italian engineered / designed.

I am sure it is manufactured in Thailand to Duramax specs as is the manual gearbox.

I have clicked over 16,500k's since taking delivery in July on mine. 2013 space cab manual diesel. No issue at all.

Really good on long distance travel. Comfortable and the standard cruise control is a dream to use.

I did however add a " waterwatch " fuel filter to the system, as I have been advised that Common Rail engines do not like unclean fuel or moisture ( water ) and this is what stuffs them. The Collie has 2 x 10 micron filters inline and all hard hoses to the fuel system. The Waterwatch has a 2 micron filter and clear bowl under the filter.

Oil filters ( Cartridge type ) are about $40 and there are no after-market ones available yet. Oil is 5W 40 semi -synthetic and takes 5.5ltrs per oil change.

I have noticed that different fuels give me very different economy rates. Worst is the Caltex fuel . ( Vortex ? )

Nearly went the auto, but stuck with the " mans " gearbox.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Sold my 2010 Colorado today. Should get the newie in 2 weeks

A friend on a property bought a new Bt.50 same time as us and he has trouble putting in fuel down the filler pipe to the diesel tank.

I had the exact same problem until last Saturday when a "baffell"
    in the filler pipe was removed and the fuel now goes in as it should.

I am sure it was intended to prevent fuel theft but two of my brothers siphoned 2 liters of fuel out with the usual garden hose. Absolutely no problem.

I have talked to two dealers and they claim to have no knowledge of the problem.

I was seriously wondering why I would need a Universary Degree to fuel up my Tillie.

Other people seem to have had the same issues.

Have a look down the pipe.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

I had a fuel problem with the Collie, after I put the canopy on. Fuel filler was too horizontal.

Photos show how I fixed that. Bought a filler throat from wreckers. Works a treat now.

cheers LP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got you Phill.

I may do the same, it is difficult to get to my cap under the tray.

I have a little more room behind the cab in front of my tray than yours and I may do as you did, extend the pipe up to the front of the Tray.

Poor design in my opinion but a suppose we all want something different at the best price and these "things" are also part of the price.

Off to one of the dams next week for a go at the crays. Probably run up another 1200 ks'

Have fun Haji-Baba

I found Caltex was good a few years ago and used it all the time now its crap.

Have used Shell and Mobile recently and both gave a minimum of 80klms better range on the hi-way fefore the low fuel light came on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    The 2.8 Duramax motor is Italian engineered / designed.

I am sure it is manufactured in Thailand to Duramax specs as is the manual gearbox.

I have clicked over 16,500k's since taking delivery in July on mine. 2013 space cab manual diesel. No issue at all.

Really good on long distance travel. Comfortable and the standard cruise control is a dream to use.

I did however add a " waterwatch " fuel filter to the system, as I have been advised that Common Rail engines do not like unclean fuel or moisture ( water ) and this is what stuffs them. The Collie has 2 x 10 micron filters inline and all hard hoses to the fuel system. The Waterwatch has a 2 micron filter and clear bowl under the filter.

Oil filters ( Cartridge type ) are about $40 and there are no after-market ones available yet. Oil is 5W 40 semi -synthetic and takes 5.5ltrs per oil change.

I have noticed that different fuels give me very different economy rates. Worst is the Caltex fuel . ( Vortex ? )

Nearly went the auto, but stuck with the " mans " gearbox.

LP

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Rat View Post
    I found Caltex was good a few years ago and used it all the time now its crap.

Have used Shell and Mobile recently and both gave a minimum of 80klms better range on the hi-way fefore the low fuel light came on.
    I am finding Shell and BP are best for me.

LP