Thread: What Size Cable???

What Size Cable???

Hey guys,
    I am wiring up my 21' Aluminium 1/2 cab. Have all the usual electronics; lights; stereo etc. Batteries will be under the outboard well.

What size cable should I be running from the batteries to the Busbars in the Cabin - 6mm: 8mm or 12mm?

I am thinking 8mm tinned - but I am looking for some advice from those more knowledgeable than I

Thanks - Mark

Re: What Size Cable???

I just redid mine and I used 8 B&S tinned. You can get it from BCF. The heavier the cable the less current drop you will get.
    http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/p...m=571325#Combo
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

As all my lights are leds my max current draw was under well 20 amps so I went for 6mm cable which is rated for 40 amps, except for the 30amp power inverter which has its own 6mm cable direct from the battery.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

I persoanally used 6AWG (6 B&S) but as that is not readily available I would suggest 8 B&S from BCG or whitworths.

That way you should have sufficient cable size if you want to run a power socket (usually rated at 15 amps) or two for hand held spotty, phone chargers, or if you run a small bilge pump off the main bus, or if you add other gear in the future.