Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Red & Maori bag out - 1770

Re: Red & Maori bag out - 1770

Nice work Keith!

Quote Originally Posted by Spot82 View Post
    Definitely sounds like you were running in 200htz, slow the tx rate down as well to about half and you should get a lot better picture but you won't get a good pic at a speed any quicker than 6-8knots I would think. Need a few 80wides so you can troll some lures for marlin while you're looking, there is definitely som big ones out there and another untouched fishery!

We had to throw reds back so you could say we had a good trip!
    They're probably Cobia

All, I could be looking for an additional crew member to do another trip off 1770 the weekend of the 05/07/13.
    Depart Caboolture 3:00 to 4:00pm Friday afternoon 05/07/13, head out Friday night, fish Saturday / Sunday morning, clean up & drive home again.
    ETA back at Caboolture Sunday night sometime between 8:00 & 12:00pm.
    PM me if anyone is interested in chipping in.

Moejoes

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    Anthony,

Mate cheers for the advice i'm running a Furuno 1150 with 2 x 2KW transducers and although I've only used it up to 150 mtrs previous to this trip its been very simple to use with every thing at your finger tips. Now that I've ventured deeper i will have to learn how to use more settings than just freq, pic advance, gain and tvg. There is also as far as i'm aware of TX (that I thought was only for other boat interference) , interference, colour erase, clutter, echo strength and god knows what else. I didn't even understand what the TX was until i just read it!!

I actually enjoy the challenge of something new like the deep drop and working out how to get the most out of this sounder and with the help of the guys down at Furuno (who have been brilliant) I will have it all sorted over the next couple of trips.

Not a bad idea - i'll run a few 80 wides next time but with the crew I had it would of been mayhem/funny!!! I've seen plenty of marlin & sails up there over the years so it would be good to get a hook up or two while searching the grounds for ??? I wonder if you get Blue eye that far up??

It's good to see you cleaned up again.

Keith
    Keith

Jeesus, sounds like a serious bit of gear!! Fish would be cooked by the time they come up

I'm not sure on the Blue Eye, I think they may catch them off the top of breaksea spit so thats not too far away. You might come across some big pearlies to in 100-200m. The blue eye I have caught down the gold coast all come off serious structure, big ledges of 30-50m in about 350-450m of water. They are certainly good on the chew and if you could find them would be a good way to top up the ice box.

Def big marlin on the shelf east of Cap/Bunker group. Troll while u sound.

Sent from my V96A using Tapatalk HD

Anthony thats the plan.

I headed down to Furuno this week and the guys were excellent in explaining what's what and how to adjust each and every setting so I should be allot better off for the next trip. The service & advice these guys have given me has been second to none even allowing me to recorded it all on the iphone so i can refer back to it if my memory fails.
    If all goes well hopefully i'll be all over it for the next bash and if the weather permits i'll spend 9am - 2pm searching around in the deeper water. Im trying not to head down south of Musgrave where the more obvious contours are and more look north east with the thinking if I find something out there it should be untouched (i hope) and closer to where I like to fish and anchor at night. I will keep looking in that 350-450 area - surly theres something there!!
    Mate I'll give it a few trips and if I continually dip out then south it will have to be.

Smithy,

Mate ive caught a few marlin of Brissy with Reefer and nothing would please me more than stirring him up with a big fella from up north. Ive seen a few jumping in the 100m grounds but not to sure what to expect in that deeper waters if anything. The area im going to be searching looks barren and goes from 300mtrs to 400mtrs for over 200+k's (I obviously wont be going that far out) and I'm not to sure if the marlin come into that area. I know theres plenty just south of Musgrave and have seen a few inside as well even as close as the bait grounds only a couple of k's out from round hill.
    Mate any advice is appreciated like what size lures to run etc???

Thanks

Keith

Great trip guys. love that Ship!

Hey mate long time! Browsing through the offshore reports and a 1770 post with 66 replies popped up and I thought there's a good chance its Keith. You've certainly mastered the deep water.. and the reds! Although you've been showing me monsters since I met you. I own a 6m half cabin Sportscraft with a 140 Suzuki 4stroke that I take off Mooloolaba mostly (cal wide/banks). Installed new fuel tank, live bait tank, hydraulic steering and lots of smaller goodies as well as a few trailer mods so she is finally as reliable as I would like.. I think I will need to expand my company if I'm to get something like yours I attached a pic of a 30kg spanish I got two weeks ago at the banks, actually made the front page of the Sunshine Coast Daily today which was cool. If you ever need a spare deckie let me know I would gladly chip in, a trip like that would be a dream come true for me ha!! How's Brisbane going for work.. Are you all over the place or locally are things stable? Anyways mate looks like you're doing well with your health haha especially mentally with trips like that!! Take care it would be cool to catch up one of these days and even get out for a fish.
    Joel Purssell
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2655.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	94499