Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Red & Maori bag out - 1770

Re: Red & Maori bag out - 1770

Quote Originally Posted by overdraft View Post
    How do I start, it was truly the best fishing experience of my life, what a pleasure it was to spend a couple of days with such a great bunch of blokes in the most beautiful part of the world, no mobile reception, wales jumping, dolphins playing, GORMET meals and blue skies all round. I have experienced many trips up the Queensland coast chasing reds but the expertise that I had witnessed with the crew of Bannana, Mojoes and Tangles was second to none. I was always a bit worried having to step up not just with helping to load that huge esky with fish but I was given the role of cooking duties, this was a daunting role as I had been warned that the previous cook was a guy that went by the name Gormet Gaz , I thought to myself how can I compete with someone with this type of reputation is he of master chef standard. I was STOKED that I held my own not just with the cooking but also with my gaffing skills, We had Mojoes the best Gaffing of Fish that I had ever witnessed, it was such an honour to watch a man that could not only catch ten reds but could teach me the art of Gaffing and of course there is Bannana(Banana) what more can I say you are the greatest Reds fishermen I have witnessed, thanks for the trip It was truly a lot of fun.

Overdraft(Gormet Dan)
    Mate your too kind.

All i can say is your one of the funniest guys i've every met and you kept me laughing the whole trip. i couldn't stop laughing tonight as i watch some go-pro footage of you and Rob as you were gaffing reds and scratching your arse, it was truly funny as.

Your welcome any time and your contributions on the boat along with your courtesy was more than appreciated. I'm looking forward to our next trip hopefully we can get amongst some GT action popping the reefs if you still have the energy.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Muddyfeet View Post
    Great trip fellas. The stuff dreams are made of! Do you use PE tackle gear to catch them? I've heard it goes alright!
    Mate I think they would go well if you used mullet for bait or other smaller flesh baits because once the pickers (hussar, red throat etc) eat the flesh of the skin i would think the fly would look more attractive with skin hanging of it than the skin by itself. It's more about getting through the pickers with enough bait left so the reds or any larger predator fish can have a crack and muscle there way in. if it's just a bit of skin on the hook i think the fly with a bit of skin on it would most definitely out fish the skin on its own.

I just use larger tougher baits with big enough hooks to limit by catch so although I don't use flys i think they do have there purpose.

cheers

I seriously hate reading this thread...... it just gives me more reason to sell one of my GT's to be able to afford a boat that would get me out in those areas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Very funny Soulfish
    You should've been on Giddyup on the way back!!!!
    Was like offshore power boat racing with ACDC pumping in the back ground.
    Giddyup was airborn quite a few times.
    You would've loved it.

Great trip boys.
    Can't wait to do it all again.

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    Do you think that's a good idea?
    yeah its always good fun watching Sandy squirm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chinner.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	93915 I can only count 1!

Quote Originally Posted by reefer View Post
    yeah its always good fun watching Sandy squirm
    Sounds good I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by reefer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chinner.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	93915 I can only count 1!

Mate I could put a better pic up with plenty more chins but it would only end in retaliation with Jason raising the bar so I'll retire on this one.

Looks like he's getting stuck into that mac tuna though... Nice!

Mate great trip! Saw you out there, very nice rig indeed! That SW'er wasn't very pleasant on Fri and Saturday night!

With your sounder you will need to run it on 50Htz and also slow the TX rate down to get it to read well in 400m. Did you find any good ledges or structure at all?? The areas we deep drop on the GC are ledges about 30-50m and you can see the fish on them with a 585 and 1kw tranny. Always wondered if there would be much deep dropping opportunity off there, certainly would be almost unfished!

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Spot82 View Post
    Mate great trip! Saw you out there, very nice rig indeed! That SW'er wasn't very pleasant on Fri and Saturday night!

With your sounder you will need to run it on 50Htz and also slow the TX rate down to get it to read well in 400m. Did you find any good ledges or structure at all?? The areas we deep drop on the GC are ledges about 30-50m and you can see the fish on them with a 585 and 1kw tranny. Always wondered if there would be much deep dropping opportunity off there, certainly would be almost unfished!

Anthony

Not the most pleasant sleep on sat night but a few beers made it a tad better.

I'll get onto the guys from furuno in the next week or so and get them to run through what else i don't understand with the sounder. it's unreal in anything up to 150 mtrs and I don't have a problem finding fish in 150 mtrs at speed so I'm sure it's just me.

As far as the deep drop goes it's only strike one and a couple more goes once the sounder is better understood should help bring results. The areas we were in were all gradual rises and at no point did I see anything exciting or ledges etc. I don't mind dipping out we spent 3/4 of the day searching around in that deep water so it will only make the results in the future more rewarding.

How did you guys go?

Keith

Not the most pleasant sleep on sat night but a few beers made it a tad better.

I'll get onto the guys from furuno in the next week or so and get them to run through what else i don't understand with the sounder. it's unreal in anything up to 150 mtrs and I don't have a problem finding fish in 150 mtrs at speed so I'm sure it's just me.

As far as the deep drop goes it's only strike one and a couple more goes once the sounder is better understood should help bring results. The areas we were in were all gradual rises and at no point did I see anything exciting or ledges etc. I don't mind dipping out we spent 3/4 of the day searching around in that deep water so it will only make the results in the future more rewarding.

How did you guys go?

Keith
    Definitely sounds like you were running in 200htz, slow the tx rate down as well to about half and you should get a lot better picture but you won't get a good pic at a speed any quicker than 6-8knots I would think. Need a few 80wides so you can troll some lures for marlin while you're looking, there is definitely som big ones out there and another untouched fishery!

We had to throw reds back so you could say we had a good trip!

Beaut trip boys nothing quite like a trip that comes together all so sweet like that. Serious haul of fish there, the freezer will look very healthy with that lot filleted up! Man i need to fish hopefully in the nxt mth or 2. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Spot82 View Post
    Definitely sounds like you were running in 200htz, slow the tx rate down as well to about half and you should get a lot better picture but you won't get a good pic at a speed any quicker than 6-8knots I would think. Need a few 80wides so you can troll some lures for marlin while you're looking, there is definitely som big ones out there and another untouched fishery!

We had to throw reds back so you could say we had a good trip!
    Anthony,

Mate cheers for the advice i'm running a Furuno 1150 with 2 x 2KW transducers and although I've only used it up to 150 mtrs previous to this trip its been very simple to use with every thing at your finger tips. Now that I've ventured deeper i will have to learn how to use more settings than just freq, pic advance, gain and tvg. There is also as far as i'm aware of TX (that I thought was only for other boat interference) , interference, colour erase, clutter, echo strength and god knows what else. I didn't even understand what the TX was until i just read it!!

I actually enjoy the challenge of something new like the deep drop and working out how to get the most out of this sounder and with the help of the guys down at Furuno (who have been brilliant) I will have it all sorted over the next couple of trips.

Not a bad idea - i'll run a few 80 wides next time but with the crew I had it would of been mayhem/funny!!! I've seen plenty of marlin & sails up there over the years so it would be good to get a hook up or two while searching the grounds for ??? I wonder if you get Blue eye that far up??

It's good to see you cleaned up again.

Keith

Anthony,

Mate cheers for the advice i'm running a Furuno 1150 with 2 x 2KW transducers and although I've only used it up to 150 mtrs previous to this trip its been very simple to use with every thing at your finger tips. Now that I've ventured deeper i will have to learn how to use more settings than just freq, pic advance, gain and tvg. There is also as far as i'm aware of TX (that I thought was only for other boat interference) , interference, colour erase, clutter, echo strength and god knows what else. I didn't even understand what the TX was until i just read it!!

I actually enjoy the challenge of something new like the deep drop and working out how to get the most out of this sounder and with the help of the guys down at Furuno (who have been brilliant) I will have it will all sorted over the next couple of trips.

Not a bad idea - i'll run a few 80 wides next time but with the crew I had it would of been mayhem/funny!!! I've seen plenty of marlin & sails up there over the years so it would be good to get a hook up or two while searching the grounds for ??? I wonder if you get Blue eye that far up??

It's good to see you cleaned up again.

Keith
    Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by overdraft View Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence.
    Mate come on you know you we're the funny part of that statement and Rob was the mayhem. Some of the gaffing footage from this trip could be sent to funniest home videos and have a chance at making the finals.