Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: When to activate your EPIRB

Blog Entries

Re: When to activate your EPIRB

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    I reckon SatNav works the night shift in the AMSA Control Room and doesn't want to get woken up by an EPIRB going off ....
    Hahahahaaa.... And only wakes up to go trolling!

Quote Originally Posted by lethal098 View Post
    Tony,

Go the Sat phone, simple and easy
    lethal,

The only issue I have with a Sat phone is you don't get warnings, updates etc

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    lethal,

The only issue I have with a Sat phone is you don't get warnings, updates etc

Tony
    And your wife can get you at any time......

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    And your wife can get you at any time......
    JJ, When I fish, my wife is always with me!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    JJ, When I fish, my wife is always with me!

Tony
    Lucky man..Any sisters?

We buy safety gear for one reason to keep us safe, and if I'm using it in a responsible manner in a situation that I see fit, its justified to help return my crew and myself and property to a safe location. Technologies great it helps save lives. We carry what the law states in safety gear for our offshore trips and in a situation one of these items will make contact with home base. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Its better to ask for help than to risk you and your crews lives..

Safe Travels..

Quote Originally Posted by RayLamp View Post
    lol which one!
    WHAT fish...

Tony I have no idea if this is possible or not..... maybe you could esquire of a knowledgable Satphone dealer....

To get the weather updates and warnings etc....
    Is there any way to use the Satphone to let your smartphone get weather app data?

Worst case scenario might be a acoustic coupling to a dial up ISP service. It's technically feasible but I don't know if it is done or practical. Or do they have a digital port of any kind?

Just a thought..... Possibly a stupid one....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maybe go up to the VMR or CG that you would be radio'ing in to and have a chinwag about what they monitor and what the other boaties are using in the same areas? I'd say straight from the horses mouth would be more reliable than internet banter.

If I'm in trouble and not in control with what's happening, well then, that little button is getting activated!

Hi Tony,
    Have you tried Tin Can on 82. We used to get them alright on the shelf east of double how much further south r u.
    Regards Brett

1. Many still totally miss the point on this one but that doesn't surprise anyone.

2. Yes there is a proper time and place to activate an Epirb, nobody is dispruting that and as someone mentioned along the lines of "when all other means available have been exhausted" and this is where the issue is as obviously many don't have "all the other means available to use in the first place" e.g. Being out of radio range without adequate communication, there is simply no excuse for this.

3. So if anybody can justify deliberately say being out of radio range thinking they will rely on an Epirb if anything goes wrong then I would like to hear it. Back to you.

If you are out of range, you are out of range. There can be a variety of factors.

Cheers

PS. This discussion is getting silly now SatNav
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by No Tiller View Post
    Hi Tony,
    Have you tried Tin Can on 82. We used to get them alright on the shelf east of double how much further south r u.
    Regards Brett
    Brett,
    No I haven't as I thought they were 80. I'll try next time out there.

We tend to do Northern Hards, but this trip we were east of DI near the shelf.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post

3. So if anybody can justify deliberately say being out of radio range thinking they will rely on an Epirb if anything goes wrong then I would like to hear it. Back to you.
    The regulations require you to have a Marine radio and an EPIRB when proceeding more than 2 Nautical Miles from shore, or boating on other than smooth or partially smooth waters - depending on which State you are in. It doesn't have to be an HF Radio, or even a VHF Radio, but a Marine Radio of unspecified type.

No State regulations that I have seen have specified that you must boat only within the range of your Marine Radio. If your boat is capable, well maintained and equipped to venture outside of radio contact and you have the experience and confidence to operate the vessel and perform minor fault finding and repairs ( like - locate and replace blown fuse, find cause of electrical short etc) and the forecast is suitable then I say go for it!

You can have every type of radio fitted to your boat but when you suffer a severe electrical meltdown or your batteries are under water then no radio is going to work (except for a hand held - with very limited range). A Sat Phone is a nice to have, but most of them don't work to well when they are wet! If everything turns to poo, then you have the EPIRB as a last resort to communicate that you are in trouble. As a stand alone unit designed to work in water, anywhere, anytime, that's the device I would be putting my faith in!

Cheers,
    Jim

Sat Nav you have the ability to scare people off not using their EPIRB. You have no authority to state what you do. Their is no written law you are allowing to guide you in you rant, so please mate only bring common sense to the forum. Would you like to be reading in a post in the future if they had only activated their EPIRB they would have survived. Precious minutes are wasted in emergencies from people fearing the outcome of asking for help. If your in the shite and you have no time to waste flip your switch. We all understand SATNAV their is a time and place to flip your switch. But each situation is going to be different to the next in an emergency.. Don't preach you opinion on this situation when you have no authority or guidelines you can have back you up..

Safe Travels Fellow Boaters..