Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: When to activate your EPIRB

Re: When to activate your EPIRB

Well said Jeff.

The vast majority of us anglers, as did your mates, prepare their boats well and have the experience required to do the trips that they do.

What some people fail to realise is that despite reasonable efforts, sometimes $hit just happens, and that is exactly why we carry last resort safety items like EPIRBS.

Glad the guys got back safely in the end. Say gidday to them for me and Rascal!

And thanks for sharing this info with us and debunking the bs put about by armchair theorists.

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    1. Bros obviously does not speak for or has any awareness of requirements 2, 4, 6 meg, which will not be going anywhere, soon.
    Well that went over your head read my response then comment

"I notice that HF radio is suggested as an alternative but HF has fallen off the priority list as far as VMR and CG is concerned so much so that many of them don't have HF sets anymore. With HF radio you will contact someone but may not be in Australia."

1. I read it perfectly, you are wrong.

1. Rule #1 mobile phones are not to be relied upon. Quoting being out of mobile phone range is simply a waste of print

2. Rule #2 radio communications would have saved an extreme amount of worry, headaches and waste of emerency services, chopper time in this situation. What is not totally understood at this time is the situation of the radio communications, no response? Why? obviously radio was not functional as there were other vessels in that particular area at that particular time.

3. This incident does nothing more than highlight the on going issue with attitudes towards proper radio communications, maintaining that radio equipment and ensuring the radio equipment is in good working order.
    1. Point 1 is just a total waste of print. We all know that mobile phones shouldn't be your PRIMARY OR ONLY means of marine communications, and equally, we all know they can be and are a valuable backup/secondary communication tool that have saved the day on plenty of occasions. The fact that Jeff mentioned that they had them but were out of range was simple contextual information. No need to make disparaging reamrks like you did.

2. Point 2 and point 3 are also largely a waste of print, unless you are Mr Perfect or one of those retentive types that carry 3 backup radios and 3 extra of every other safety item. Electronic equipment, unfortunately fails at times, simple fact.

Just a generally unhelpful response that addd no value and detracted from a very valuable lesson that was shared for members benefit.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Please enlighten a
    puppet volunteers, easily identified by their name badges.
    As to where I am wrong

the real volunteer is long gone, some of us who were actually there in the beginning know the difference, the rest wouldn't
    Says a real expert in VMR's and CG's or sorry you were there in the beginning they have moved on since then.

Edit don't bother answering as I have fallen into the trap of feeding the Trolls

"I notice that HF radio is suggested as an alternative but HF has fallen off the priority list as far as VMR and CG is concerned so much so that many of them don't have HF sets anymore. With HF radio you will contact someone but may not be in Australia."

Could be the local rescue organisations not maintaining their gear hence they don't/can't monitor said types of radios mentioned above.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

1. VMR still monitors HF just about the full length of the coast they cover, apart from the gulf which is VHF16 only (total lacking in repeaters).

2. 2182 (especially) is still an international distress frequency the last time I looked and HF will have a dam better chance of talking to somebody especially local shipping when out of VHF range. Then again GMDSS doesn't care much about little boats but this is no excuse either.

3. Then again in the SE corner some still monitor 88, 90, say no more.

1. VMR still monitors HF just about the full length of the coast they cover, apart from the gulf which is VHF16 only (total lacking in repeaters).

2. 2182 (especially) is still an international distress frequency the last time I looked and HF will have a dam better chance of talking to somebody especially local shipping when out of VHF range. Then again GMDSS doesn't care much about little boats but this is no excuse either.
    Gee shows how far out of date you are as 2182 has been dropped as a distress frequency some time ago it is now 4125, 6215. and 8291. As for all VMR's monitoring HF I can name 3 that don't even have HF sets and the others have them turned down or off so you should be a bit more informed.

I wouldn't hesitate if adrift offshore, night approaching and no radio response. I would be happy to be in a nice safe courtroom arguing the point rather than being sharkbait. Its the same with mayday. If one of my family was in grave medicL danver I would mayday...when really that should be a pan pan....

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

And if they did get run over by a tanker, this thread would be about " Why didn't they hit the EPIRB". Same as crossing a bar. If in doubt dont go out. If in doubt hit the bloody button. Not bloody rocket science is it.......
    JN

We ought to just accept that most of us here, and most folk out there on the water, are sensible and would choose to do the appropriate thing. Lets let this just die a natural thread death.

Arguing the point with someone closed and bloody-minded is a waste of this precious print that Satnavs so worried about.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Gee shows how far out of date you are as 2182 has been dropped as a distress frequency some time ago it is now 4125, 6215. and 8291. As for all VMR's monitoring HF I can name 3 that don't even have HF sets and the others have them turned down or off so you should be a bit more informed.
    1. That is also incorrect (in part) as even thou shipping has no requirement to maintain a listening watch on 2182 if you send a DSC alert on 2187.5 then you will get a 2182 voice call and to say 2182 has been dropped as a distress frequency is pure fallacy in your context.

2. And apart from the 4,6 & 8 meg distress freq there are 8 VMR stations (apart from CG) that monitor 2182 between Jacobs well and the Burdekin. This covers the entire Qld coast covered by VMR.

3. However the real point and summary for those venturing past VHF range is HF is a real alternative, it is the first and best alternative and to suggest HF is somehow dead is rather misleading.

4. Hence if you are a competent skipper and venture past VHF range then you obvioulsy won't put your live or the lives of others in danger and have proper safety equipment (that being radio in this context) suitable for the area. Accepting and understanding this very simple requirement appears a little hard for some to grasp?

Sat Nav needs fuel to burn his sick, twisted, little fire and is getting plenty of it. As I have previously read in someone's signature "Arguing with an idiot only proves there are 2".

Agreed Macca.......every thread slowly and subtley gets turn around to fall right within his scope of expertise all so he can express his knowledge on certain subjects, subjects far removed from the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by thelump View Post
    Sat Nav needs fuel to burn his sick, twisted, little fire and is getting plenty of it. As I have previously read in someone's signature "Arguing with an idiot only proves there are 2".
    I have to agree there so I have said my piece I am only giving the troll a platform to preach from so I won't take part in anymore discussion of this subject as you have SatNav as the self appointed guru. It really must make him feel good to preach for all the VMR's and CG when they are in his words "puppet volunteers".