Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Netters @ Kings Beach Today 15-06-2013. ??

Netters @ Kings Beach Today 15-06-2013. ??

Just turned on the surfcam watch at Kings Beach and it looks like the netters are there.

http://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/c...&camName=Kings

Re: Netters @ Kings Beach Today 15-06-2013. ??

soon there will be nothing left and we will be in the situation as other countries.\
    bazza

Great!

That means the mullet are starting to run, and fillets will soon be on special. Yeeehaaa!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by bazza65 View Post
    soon there will be nothing left and we will be in the situation as other countries.\
    bazza
    This is not new Bazza. I remember buying a bucket of mullet off them for 50c about thirty years ago. So must be reasonably sustainable.I agree with moonlighter cheap bait just around the corner.

[QUOTE=Still_Dreamin;. So must be reasonably sustainable.

Not a reasonable assumption to make at all. The north atlantic cod were 'sustainably' fished for well over a hundred years before their total collapse in the 90s put tens of thousands of people out of work. Nobody saw it coming as yields remained high up to the point of collapse. Recovery of the species has been extremely slow and the fishery is still not 'exploitable'.
    Such collapses are not unusual due to the reschooling nature of fishes and particularly when undertaking spawning migrations - such as the one undertaken by mullet.

The Keppel Bay mullet fishery collapsed after intense pressure in the mid 90s and hasn't recovered.

And just as equally, it simply cannot be assumed, like some people on the forum seem to always do, that any form of commercial netting is NOT sustainable. That is patently untrue.

They are not perfect, but Queensland Fisheries these days are pretty well on top of the commercial side of things in particular. Of late, net buy-backs have contributed further to sustainability of those fisheries.

Indeed, all of the commercial fishers that I met during the Moreton Bay Marine Park rezoning process were strongly focussed on maintaining sustainable fisheries for the long term, and were by no means the ogres that some rec fishers like to paint them as.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I haven't actually seen anyone make the comment that all netting is unsustainable and it's certainly not my viewpoint. This is not relevant however to my comment that just because a species has been netted for a length of time that it must be sustainable.

I beg to differ re FQ being on top of things and I am most certainly not alone in that sense.

Then we have the Qld netters leasing the NSW licences.? Somehow targeting breeding fish is not what one would assume to be commercially viable in the long term. The proof will be down the decades, assumptions are what is being made to allow it to continue. But its not just the target species Mullet, it all the by products caught up in the net.
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    They are not perfect, but Queensland Fisheries these days are pretty well on top of the commercial side of things in particular.
    While in my boat casting plastics under the trawlers moored near Seaworld I listened to an "old salt" give a 30 min lecture to several younger fellows I assumed were crew, on ways and means to avoid, disrupt, hamper, and generally get around detection and enforcement by Fisheries officers.

Personally I think that compared to the sustainability of our other net fisheries, the east coast mullet fishery fairs well.
    Cheers

Popcorn, get your popcorn! This should be good for at least 5pages.

We've got edited posts and we've even pulled out the bold font.......anything could happen here!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Popcorn, get your popcorn! This should be good for at least 5pages.
    I can hardly endure the suspence

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    While in my boat casting plastics under the trawlers moored near Seaworld I listened to an "old salt" give a 30 min lecture to several younger fellows I assumed were crew, on ways and means to avoid, disrupt, hamper, and generally get around detection and enforcement by Fisheries officers.

Personally I think that compared to the sustainability of our other net fisheries, the east coast mullet fishery fairs well.
    Cheers
    Are you able to share (Cliff notes) what he said? Not having a go or anything like that, just genuinely want to hear what his tips were. Thanks.

Cuzza

And not so I can go out and break the law haha! just be interesting to hear how people get around those sort of searches.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    We've got edited posts and we've even pulled out the bold font.......anything could happen here!!!!
    Better start loading that pop gun of yours Muddy.