Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Rod Building Weekend - July 27 & 28, 2013

Re: Rod Building Weekend - July 27 & 28, 2013

Faaaark, Im never going to live this one down am I????

Im sitting here late at night lmao at the possibilities of Apollo near Stuart with masking tape.
    Graham

G'day gents,
    I've just read the threads and I've been building rods for about 2 years now for myself and friends and was wondering if you know if these type of workshop weekends happen in Victoria? I would love to attend one of your next workshops if possible, also is there a site etc where you can get tutoring or where I could attend rod building classes etc on the easting side of Aus?

regards
    Russ

Hey Russ,
    What it takes to get one these things off the ground is one or two who know what they're doing (or are at least enthusiastic) to organise it, a venue, and a way of getting the word out (forums, facebook, emails etc). I would say enthusiasm is the main requirement.

Some sources of info are this site, rodbuilding.org, the NERBs facebook, rodbuildingtutorials.com, bdoutdoors.com rodbuilding forum, etc. Some are Q&A type sites, others are reference libraries, others are places to post pics and get various comments and opinions.

Happy to send you more info by email or PM if that helps. I'm amazed how many people are willing to share their time and rod building info with others once there is a means in place, such as a web forum or a physical gathering. The challenge at first is knowing where to begin.

Cheers
    Dave

Thanks for the prompt reply and info Dave,
    I'm no expert into rod building, been doing it as a hobby for around two years now, I got sick of working on cars and boats etc as a hobby, so I thought I'd give it a go, now I'm hooked and love building rods for my self friends and family.
    I've been into the rodbuilding org site, but haven't heard of the other sites. I have been getting info of a local rod builder, he mainly does repairs but when I show him custom grips I've made from EVA, and weaves etc he was amazed, as he hadn't seen it before, ( his retired and doesn't have a PC)

I'm interested if you have another workshop down the track, I would do my best to make to the trip up. As with setting one up, I couldn't see one getting of the ground in Melbourne, due to not knowing enough local rod builders etc, there's one guy I know who works at the local ramp at Patterson river who builds rod as a profession, so I will start with him for more local knowledge etc.
    Anyway I would love to ask you some questions, so I will send an email.

cheers

Russ