Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rod Building Weekend - July 27 & 28, 2013

Thumbs up Rod Building Weekend - July 27 & 28, 2013

G'day,
    I'm volunteering to host a RBW in late July at Mount Cotton. The plan is to cover general rod building as well as some decorative techniques.

As in the past you can bring along your own gear and work at your own pace, with some experienced builders attending to offer guidance if needed. Assistance can be given in securing components beforehand if you need it.

We will also run some demonstrations. The agenda will be finalised closer to the date but suggestions at the moment include:
    - Weaving
    - Decals
    - Photography

Numbers will be limited to a max of approx 10 on each day.

Please post any comments or questions here so the amount of interest can be gauged and the agenda finalised. Final numbers and confirmation of attendees will sorted closer to the date.

The main purpose for holding this is to share info, advice and mateship. I'm looking forward to it!

Cheers
    Dave

Re: Rod Building Weekend - July 27 & 28, 2013

Good onya Dave,

Mate I am happy to help out if I can and maybe learn o few tricks from the experienced rod builders who come along.

Cheers
    Pedro

I'm happy to help any way I can.
    Might inspire me to build the 15kg trolling rods I've been putting off because I had a whole year before my next marlin hunting trip. Now 4 months....
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

What a top bloke. Good on you Dave.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hi Dave
    I would be very interested, providing full green horns are welcome. Please let me know what I need to do to get the ball rolling from my end.

Thanks
    Rob.

I better come along just to make sure you bunch are kept in line.

Owen, I will bring a bent and straight butt for you so you can compare.

Stu

I'd love to come along but must offer my apologies. I already have time off for another Rod building meeting in August at Wollongong. Hope all goes well (I know it will with some very good experienced "old hands").

Hi Mark, Best wishes for the SEARBS meet. I look forward to seeing some pics!

Rob, All levels of experience are welcome, including those who haven't built before.

The way these weekends tend to work is that guys/gals bring along some gear to work on. They might bring all the bits for a new rod, and start building it on the day. Or they might bring a half-done project, or a rod that needs repair, and work on it at their own pace. The other option is to simply show up and watch.

Many of the participants are quite experienced and can offer advice and assistance as required. The atmosphere is one of helping each other. If you can put up with bad jokes, sarcasm and dodgy humour then you will fit right in

To get started you'll need to decide what you want to get out of the weekend. If you want to build a new rod you can start by purchasing a kit of components. Local and overseas online suppliers can offer advice or you can PM me or post questions here for specifics.

In terms of gear, there are some basic items like razor blades, masking tape, thread, metho etc that you will need, and also a way of supporting the rod. Options include a rod lathe, stand-mounted rollers, wooden vee-blocks, or a cardboard box with a couple of slots cut in it. These can be purchased, borrowed, or made yourself. Again, PM me or post questions here and we will get you started.

Food on each day is likely to be a bbq lunch.

People might wish to attend on one or both days, whatever suits. Just let me know beforehand so numbers can be confirmed.

I will have several tables set up. If people have some trestle tables that they can bring please let me know.

Someone made the suggestion to include lap dancers as part of the weekend. I will get my wife to email a reply to that one.

Thanks for the support indicated so far.

Cheers
    Dave

Thanks Dave.

Pencil me in, only. Work will dictate attendence.

I live 10 - 15 minutes from you, so it should suit.

I actually have an old " original " ugly stick I have to re-furb and have been putting it off for a while. Sounds like an opportunity to get stuck into this rod.

cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Thanks Dave.

Pencil me in, only. Work will dictate attendence.

I live 10 - 15 minutes from you, so it should suit.

I actually have an old " original " ugly stick I have to re-furb and have been putting it off for a while. Sounds like an opportunity to get stuck into this rod.

cheers Phill

You mean you might actually do something constructive Phill??????

Should come along to harass oops I mean assist.......But we'll have see if the planets align.
    No such thing as a fat alcoholic, just fat piss pots...

Would really love to be there & be a Stufarts minni me, and possibly get back the thread I lent to a rod building orphan a few years back..... I will hunt you down, I don't have the nick name Rozweiler for nothing, Nah all good, however now I live down near Coffs it's not easy popping up to Brizzie than when I lived in Murwillumbah, will try though.
    r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Update:

Have had around 10 enquiries from possible attendees so far. Keep them coming, and if you have any questions or suggestions please post them here or shoot me a message.

Also, have been promised some donated goodies from a couple of suppliers which will help make the weekend that little bit better

Cheers
    Dave

sounds good Dave, I will also donate some goodies including a couple of Snyder glas blanks.

cheers
    pedro

dave, i,m in and could you pencil in graham [grave 41] as we were talking about this the other day.he is away at the moment.
    ill let you you as soon as i now if he cant make it

thanks
    ian

Old Filthy Phil, the only guy I know that loves to drink girly drinks with pink umbrellas. I will bring down a heap of old crappy offcuts, only because I cant bring myself to throwing them out.
    I might have some old stuff here I can use down there. Dave, do let your wife organise the lap dancers mate, doesn't worry me as long as they are there.
    Cant get lap dancers, then at least some bar maids.

I would like for lunch, king prawns, Crown larger and oysters.