Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rod Building Weekend - July 27 & 28, 2013

Re: Rod Building Weekend - July 27 & 28, 2013

DOH!!! It wasn't my idea, Im easily lead, misguided, I was smacked as a child, never told I could be anything, never received a certificate for just trying. My life was set in stone all those years ago. I never had a chance man. Please forgive my insolence, but mate that was funny. I even matched the empty purple fanta can to the bindings. Did you like the text-er butt-wrap?

Good putting faces to names.

Stu the mummy wrapper

well, what can i say..
    to Dave B ,his lovely wife and family that let us turn their life upside down for the weekend,i thank you very much
    to mark,american tackle,ross from rod works ,cork4us and all that donated stuff ..i thank you
    to owen and pedro for their time to show us their knowledge on weaves.i thank you
    stu as always the life of the party
    and to the crew, good to meet fellow builders and may we all progress to be better
    and finally muddy and his partner in crime harden up and take the plunge
    thanks for a great weekend guys
    SID [ the deaf one ]

Smile Day 2 Photos

Here are some pics from Day 2:

Douglas concentrating on a layout:

Douglas concentrating.jpg

Graham and Ian checking guide spacing on the group rod:

Graham and Ian.jpg

Graham praying to the gods of rodbuilding:

Graham.jpg (not really, he's simply installing a grip :

Iain at work:

Iain.jpg

Committee meeting:

IMG_8466.jpg

"How shall we decorate this?" thinks Mark: Mark_1.jpg

"I know! Lets make our own decal.": Mark_2.jpg

"Ta Daaa!": Mark_3.jpg

Pedro's Red Emperor:

Pedro's Red Emperor.jpg

Steve:

Steve.jpg

Thanks to our many sponsors:
    Sponsors_1.jpg Sponsors_2.jpg

regards
    Dave

I see Apollo managed to un wrap the masking tape, how long did it take? I bet it took much longer taking it off than putting it on.

Stu

Wow, what a weekend!

The two days had very different "flavours": day 1 was a very social affair, with lots of catching up and settling in, and day 2 had more of a focus on getting rods finished or well underway. I thought both were great.

Highlights for me included:
    • Seeing EVA shaped on the lathe
    • Getting weaving tips including use of the cable tie
    • Working with Douglas to lay out a detailed a cross wrap pattern on his blank
    • Working with Mark (trymyluck) to decorate his rod with a custom decal
    • Speaking live with the American Tackle guys on Skype thanks to Mark Newcombe
    • Hot water trick for installing EVA grips
    • Seeing the custom rods that guys brought along
    • Catching up with friends and making new ones
    Thanks to all those who attended and made the day a success. Thanks also to our sponsors who donated various gear including:
    • A Texaliam spinning blank from Troy at Wilson's
    • RodMaker magazines from Tom Kirkman
    • Samples of cork from Joaquim Loreiro (Cork4Us)
    • Mudhole promo gear and Rod Guild Journals from Ross Van Enckevort (The Rodworks)
    • American Tackle promo gear including reel seats, catalogues and the new Tidal Wave MicroWave guide sets
    • Components for the RBW Group Rod from Pedro
    If I missed thanking anyone please accept my apologies!
    If you were the recipient of any of these items it would be great form to send a quick note of thanks to the sponsor.

- - - - - - - - - -

The RBW Group Rod

We took the 10-14kg Texalium spinning blank and built it up with gimbal, hypalon grips, Alps reel seat and a great set of guides. Pedro assembled the butt section beforehand, we glued the tip on Saturday, came up with the guide spacing on the Sunday and then did the guide wraps (mostly Ian).

We would like to auction this great rod to the highest bidder, and donate the proceeds to a charity. As part of the auction I will finish the rod with a custom decal showing the winner's name (or name of boat or other text or logo as requested).

I am hoping somebody can take care of running the auction, and I will focus on epoxying the rod and doing the decal.

- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks to all who attended the SEQ RBW. I had a great time and am looking forward to the next one.

Cheers
    Dave

My god men!!!!

Seeing pictures up here on Ausfish is one thing but to see these works of art in real life, and to see the skill level you guys possess was a pleasure I will not forget.

Dave, Ian, Graham, Pedro, Douglas, Steve and the homeless dude walking around aimlessly with a XXXX tinnie in his hand, thanks for the opportunity to come around for a squizz!!

Whilst I was only able to attend one day, it was good to keep up.
    Good to see some work actually got done on Sunday.
    Especially good to see Pedro finished his rendition of a juvenile Red Emperor.
    Not often you can put a realistic representation of your PB on your rod
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Great to see you guys had a great week end, looks like a good time had by all! great to see rodbuilding being promoted.

Ross

What can i say that hasn't already been said? Thanks Dave and everybody who attended it was good to catch up with the old faces and meet new ones.
    Thanks to all the sponsors especially Mark Newcombe driving up from down south to meet the mob.
    It was good to see a variety of different aspects of rod building getting done.
    What else is there to say but thank you all till the next one.
    Cheers Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Whilst I was only able to attend one day, it was good to keep up.
    Good to see some work actually got done on Sunday.
    Especially good to see Pedro finished his rendition of a juvenile Red Emperor.
    Not often you can put a realistic representation of your PB on your rod
    You idiot

Cheers
    Pedro

On a serious note it was great to finally put faces to names, I had a great time meeting all the mob and a special thanks to Dave for hosting a great couple of days.

Get in and put a bid on the auction rod, whoever gets it wont be disappointed and remember that all proceeds will go to a worthy charity (Undecided but suggestions welcome).

Cheers
    Pedro

Have you guys thought about a silent auction?

Might be a heap easier to run via pm over the course of fortnight or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I see Apollo managed to un wrap the masking tape, how long did it take? I bet it took much longer taking it off than putting it on.

Stu
    Was a dog act Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Wow, what a weekend!

The two days had very different "flavours": day 1 was a very social affair, with lots of catching up and settling in, and day 2 had more of a focus on getting rods finished or well underway. I thought both were great.

Highlights for me included:

• Seeing EVA shaped on the lathe
    • Getting weaving tips including use of the cable tie
    • Working with Douglas to lay out a detailed a cross wrap pattern on his blank
    • Working with Mark (trymyluck) to decorate his rod with a custom decal
    • Speaking live with the American Tackle guys on Skype thanks to Mark Newcombe
    • Hot water trick for installing EVA grips
    • Seeing the custom rods that guys brought along
    • Catching up with friends and making new ones

Thanks to all those who attended and made the day a success. Thanks also to our sponsors who donated various gear including:

• A Texaliam spinning blank from Troy at Wilson's
    • RodMaker magazines from Tom Kirkman
    • Samples of cork from Joaquim Loreiro (Cork4Us)
    • Mudhole promo gear and Rod Guild Journals from Ross Van Enckevort (The Rodworks)
    • American Tackle promo gear including reel seats, catalogues and the new Tidal Wave MicroWave guide sets
    • Components for the RBW Group Rod from Pedro

If I missed thanking anyone please accept my apologies!
    If you were the recipient of any of these items it would be great form to send a quick note of thanks to the sponsor.

- - - - - - - - - -

The RBW Group Rod

We took the 10-14kg Texalium spinning blank and built it up with gimbal, hypalon grips, Alps reel seat and a great set of guides. Pedro assembled the butt section beforehand, we glued the tip on Saturday, came up with the guide spacing on the Sunday and then did the guide wraps (mostly Ian).

We would like to auction this great rod to the highest bidder, and donate the proceeds to a charity. As part of the auction I will finish the rod with a custom decal showing the winner's name (or name of boat or other text or logo as requested).

I am hoping somebody can take care of running the auction, and I will focus on epoxying the rod and doing the decal.

- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks to all who attended the SEQ RBW. I had a great time and am looking forward to the next one.

Cheers
    Dave
    Thanks Dave for hosting this and to all those that helped me out when I had a question. Still very much learning and appreciated the assistance. I am inspired by the work you guys do.

Steven

so when do we start bidding for the group rod