Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rod Building Weekend - July 27 & 28, 2013

Re: Rod Building Weekend - July 27 & 28, 2013

Hey Dave, as I posted earlier, i am very keen.
    I am off to the swains on Friday. So im a bit tied up with that at the moment, but I will get on to you when I get back.

Thanks
    Rob

Dave,

Good on you for putting your hand up. I have enjoyed the last two and would be keen to come along to this one as well. For any rod building virgins that are thinking of coming along, I had never built a rod prior to the first one I did, but with the assistance of the experience types there, I have knocked out a couple of roads that don't look bad and haven't broken yet, so it is a great opportunity to come along and learn.

Will be able to definately confirm in a couple of weeks, once I know what is happening a bit more with change of jobs, etc

Steve

Dave, Lock me in for the weekend please, planets are aligned.
    Rob, I can vouch that greenhorns are welcome because I am in for a second rbw, still a greenhorn.
    As Steve said it is a very enjoyable weekend and a great way to learn a lot about rod building, unfortunately I have forgotten most of what I learnt from last years.
    I will start a Snyder c108l blank I got from Pedro last year sometime, hopefully Pedro and Graham will bring half a tackle shop with them? will mean I don't have to work out supplies before the weekend.
    Looking forward to catching up with some old and new faces.
    Iain
    Last edited by chappie; 25-06-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: my aws;pome typing

Quote Originally Posted by chappie View Post
    Dave, Lock me in for the weekend please, planets are aligned.
    Rob, I can vouch that greenhorns are welcome because I am in for a second rbw, still a greenhorn.
    As Steve said it is a very enjoyable weekend and a great way to learn a lot about rod building, unfortunately I have forgotten most of what I learnt from last years.
    I will start a Snyder c108l blank I got from Pedro last year sometime, hopefully Pedro and Graham will bring half a tackle shop with them? will mean I don't have to work out supplies before the weekend.
    Looking forward to catching up with some old and new faces.
    Iain
    No worries mate will bring a few boxes of guides some reel seats and grips and a bunch of thread, you never know I may even get your rod finished and bring it along or I could bring it with just the bottom end done and you could finish it yourself.
    Let me know what you want to do.

Cheers
    Pedro

Lightbulb Re: Rod Building Weekend - July 27 & 28, 2013

G'day! Here is an update on the event:

The SE QLD RBW on July 27/28 is shaping up nicely. To date we have had a number of kind offers from corporate sponsors including:
    • Tom Kirkman - RodMaker Magazine

• Joaquim Loureiro - Cork 4U

• The team at American Tackle
    A number of individuals have also offered assistance in the form of gear, time and facilities.

Some highly experienced individuals such as Peter Funnell, Owen Dare, Stuart Mackenzie and Mark Newcombe (ATC Pro Staff) have indicated they can attend and share their knowledge with us.

I'd like to publicly acknowledge the pledges made so far in regards to gifts, merchandise, promo gear etc, and say a big Thank You for those who are supporting this event.

We will be running demos on topics such as general rodbuilding techniques, thread art and rod photography. Samples of various components will be on display for you to check out. There will be some door prizes for lucky attendees.

Have you had a cast of a rod made with the new MicroWave guides? Come along and if the weather is kind we can do some test casting atthe local park.

It would be great if people bring along rods they have made themselves so we can all have a sticky beak. Don’t worry if they aren’t “perfect”. The theme of the weekend is to learn from each other.

There will be tables set up so you can set up your own kit and work at your own pace. If anyone has a trestle table they can bring please let me know as we will need quite a few.

Never built a rod before? Bring along your components and there will be plenty of assistance available to help you put it all together. Not sure what to bring? Drop me a message or post questions here.

This is a great opportunity to meet others who share your interest and to make new contacts.

Lunch will be provided on both days, and there will be asmall cover charge to cover food. BYOG. (If Stu gets his way and we opt for lobsters, prawns and oysters then the cover charge may need to go up )

Numbers will be confirmed closer to the date, but if you are thinking of coming on either or both days please let me know. Also, let me know if something comes up and you know you won’t be attending. I need to work out if the current venue will suit.

Hopefully this has whet your appetite and anticipation for the weekend is growing. I’m really excited about it.

More details will be confirmed closer to the date.

Cheers
    Dave

Dave, As IAN has stated I'm away at present but sometimes have Internet access. I will bring some gear if people require it. Eg blanks,guides, grips,whatever.
    Graham

Hi Dave
    I have only just read this thread.
    If you still have room i will be in.

Cheers Dazza

Hey Dave.......what are the options for a couple of local lads that might like to drop in just to have a looksie and say gday. Won't be building anything though.

Not sure if Steve and I are attending yet, if we do I will be bringing the boat down for a service if Gary can fit it in. So I might just be a spectator.

Mark
    No such thing as a fat alcoholic, just fat piss pots...

damnit it muddy... buy the gear... build a rod and fish it

Quote Originally Posted by 2DKnBJ View Post
    Hi Dave
    I have only just read this thread.
    If you still have room i will be in.

Cheers Dazza
    wondered when u would kick in mate

Quote Originally Posted by sid_fishes View Post
    damnit it muddy... buy the gear... build a rod and fish it
    I think there is something to be said about a man that knows and sticks within his limitations............wouldn't mind watching for a while though.

Dazza, will pencil you in.

Muddy, no problem, spectators welcome. Am trying to get some kit together that can let a few have a play without having to bring their own gear. If Stu can bring his offcuts then I've got some spare guides so folks can have a go at binding if they want to.

If everyone who has responded actually shows then it will be pretty squeezy, but we can spread out across a few rooms. Will be doing a final roll call a week or so out and will finalise the numbers then.

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    I think there is something to be said about a man that knows and sticks within his limitations............wouldn't mind watching for a while though.
    ddy
    Muddy, ive got a gr8 idea, seeing as i have Cobiamans monster mesh here for a rebuild, i can bring it along for you to play with,i,m sure he wont mind....its only fibreglass and cotton

Quote Originally Posted by sid_fishes View Post
    wondered when u would kick in mate
    Cheers Dave,
    Will be great to catch up with the usuall crew.

Never too far away Ian..

Cheers Dazza