Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More rec fishing opportunities with artificial reef extensions

More rec fishing opportunities with artificial reef extensions

More rec fishing opportunities with artificial reef extensions

Two artificial reefs in Moreton Bay Marine Park are being extended this week, as a barge lowers 224 giant balls of concrete to increase the fishable area.

Member for Cleveland Mark Robinson said the $265,000 “reef balls” project would add to the fun of fishing in Moreton Bay.

“The Newman Government is committed to opening up our National and Marine Park areas for all Queensland residents and visitors to enjoy, and projects like this are an important part of that plan”, Dr Robinson said.

"The artificial reefs are good for recreational fishing, support marine life and take pressure off other reefs in Moreton Bay," Dr Robinson said.

"This increase in artificial reef will produce a better inshore fishing experience for families, and improve the sustainability of the Bay without locking rec fishers out as Labor-Green Governments continue to do.”

“The design of the ‘reef balls’ will attract more fish to Moreton Bay Marine Park, Queensland’s most popular natural playground with domestic visitors, which draws an estimated 12.4 million visits a year.

“Anyone near Peel or Coochiemudlo islands this week may have seen the 700kg moulded concrete domes with holes in their sides being lowered by a crane into the water, and I’d encourage people to get out on the water and check out the new additions as soon as possible.”

Dr Robinson said works started on Tuesday 11 June, and was completed on Wednesday morning.

West of Peel Island, 128 balls have being added to the existing reef, while 96 balls have been added to the reef east of Coochiemudlo Island.

“Moreton Bay Marine Park has six artificial reefs – these were created using a range of materials, from a vessel deliberately sunk, to purpose-built structures like the reef balls,” he said.

Maps for East Coochie and West Peel are available at http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/moreton-bay/zoning/trial_artificial_reef_program.html#West_Peel and will be updated over the next few days, with the new installations located within the dedicated special activity area.

Re: More rec fishing opportunities with artificial reef extensions

Mark do you know there is more to fishing than just Moreton bay
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

What about 1line, 1 hook per angler in green zones mark, like you promised???

Old news Mark, seeing you are a guy with the finger on the pulse, how about bringing forward new news and proposing new concepts and ideas to help the fishery across the state?
    Stop trying to ride a small donkey for political gain and bring into the world something worthy of your votes.
    Make a difference somehow.
    Jack.

Hey Jack
    Not sure how the new artificial reef balls put in place Tuesday and today is old news. Unless you operate in back to the future mode. Will be in Bayside Bulletin on Friday. And unlike the Labor-Greens we did it without making new Labor-Green lockout zones, just as we said !! Or maybe you like Green zones, but I don't. I never supported the use of artis as compensation for Green zones. My view continues to be to put more artis into Moreton Bay and elsewhere, without lockouts. And further, I want to see rec fishing access to selected MNPs where there is no significant environmental risk or damage, and no loss of biodiversity. This is something I will continue to advocate for while-ever I am the state MP for Cleveland and while-ever the evidence supports that.

Excellent news. Any chance of some in the Northern part of the Bay ?

Hi Mark

Plenty of questions in other threads you have started or contributed to, ya reckon you have time to swing by and answer some of them ?.

Just Ask'n

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Hi Mark

Plenty of questions in other threads you have started or contributed to, ya reckon you have time to swing by and answer some of them ?.

Just Ask'n
    Dont hold ya breath....

Just say'n

mmmmmmmmm

posted yesterday at 6.14pm

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...-updates.-MBMP

LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 12-06-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Hi Mark

Just Ask'n
    Have always tried to answer what I can when I have had time.
    What's on your mind?

I suppose the question has to be asked, so might as well be me.

Is this $265,000 and deployment of these reef balls, the left-overs from the MBMP arti reef program formed during the labor Government ? , or is this funded by the LNP's Marine Infrastructure Program funds ?

Thanks in advance......

LP

Hey Mark I'm curious about the one hook, line per angler in marine parks policy.

Would it be more likely to happen when Labor and the greens are booted out nationally?

If you can't answer then I'll take it as a positive with you not being able to give those greenies any ammunition before the election.

I'll provide a quick answer on this.

There was never a " policy " on the one hook, green zone thing.

Just because a politician tells you what they want or would like, does not make it policy for their party, and this is the great misunderstanding in politics these days. he said / she said and determining between promises, core promises, statements, likes, dislikes, proposals, commitments, truth and more.

I do believe there was a promise / statement to " review the MBMP zoning ".

All IMO.

LP

Thats not an answer Phidoublel. I'll call it" idea" then. Its a revolutionary idea and would have ramifications throughout the country which is why I'm interested in the conceptualization of the idea.

Thanks.... but you do see my point of " interpretation of wording and misunderstandings ".

Yes, the idea has great merit and would be considered on a zone by zone basis, I believe.

LP