Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More rec fishing opportunities with artificial reef extensions

Re: More rec fishing opportunities with artificial reef extensions

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I suppose the question has to be asked, so might as well be me.

Is this $265,000 and deployment of these reef balls, the left-overs from the MBMP arti reef program formed during the labor Government ? , or is this funded by the LNP's Marine Infrastructure Program funds ?

Thanks in advance......
    LP
    Hi Phill. While I don't have the full details to answer that, I believe this was new funding provided by Natiional Parks & Wildlife Services. It is not a continuatiion of DERM as DERM no longer exists and DERM minister Kate Jones advised me that the funds had all been spent. To my knowledge none of it has come through the marine infrastructure fund that I established, though new artis can be applied for through the fund - by local fishing groups

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    I never supported the use of artis as compensation for Green zones. My view continues to be to put more artis into Moreton Bay and elsewhere, without lockouts.
    Mark, with respect, the negotiation of artificial reefs as compensation as part of the Labor green zones in the MBMP was the ONLY TIME recreational anglers have got ANY sort of compensation for losing valuable fishing areas to politically motivated green zones.

It was a first in Australia and possibly worldwide and set the precedent that its is not only the commercial sector that deserves compensation for loss of access.

Those of us involved worked long hours and negotiated hard on behalf of rec anglers to get this result. We didn't want green zones, they were forced on us. We would rather have had no green zones. But that wasn't going to happen. Green politics saw to that.

Would you rather we had got nothing??

I am really hoping that what you meant was that developing artificial reef programs should not be contingent on losing areas to green zones. I would agree with that.

Grant
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]“The Newman Government is committed to opening up our National and Marine Park areas for all Queensland residents and visitors to enjoy, and projects like this are an important part of that plan”
    So who lives in the state of "Newman" and why is their Government doing the work the Queensland Government should be doing?

[QUOTE=Moonlighter;

I am really hoping that what you meant was that developing artificial reef programs should not be contingent on losing areas to green zones. I would agree with that.

Grant[/QUOTE]

Grant,
    Yes, I agree with your assessment. Well done for what you achieved. That is why we will not deliver Green zones, rather more artis wherever local groups want them and work through the marine infrastructure fund.
    Regards
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Excellent news. Any chance of some in the Northern part of the Bay ?
    Gunna, contact Kerry Millard, LNP member for Sandgate. She may be able to help. You will need a local rec group to put up a proposal for the marine infrastructure fund (TMR).
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I'll provide a quick answer on this.

There was never a " policy " on the one hook, green zone thing.

Just because a politician tells you what they want or would like, does not make it policy for their party, and this is the great misunderstanding in politics these days. he said / she said and determining between promises, core promises, statements, likes, dislikes, proposals, commitments, truth and more.

I do believe there was a promise / statement to " review the MBMP zoning ".

All IMO.
    LP
    Never say never
    A release from the LNP

Mr Lawrence Springborg MP
    28 February 2009
    "The LNP is being up-front and honest about our policies for Moreton Bay fishing and I challenge Anna Bligh to do the same."
    Key Policy Points

The LNP will:
    1. Increase compensation to be paid to commercial fishers from $15M to $20M.
    2. Keep all proposed zones in place while an LNP Government conducts a full independent scientific analysis of the basis of zonings.
    3. Provide $3m for the study, to be completed within 12 months.
    4. In the interim, limited fishing by recreational fishers would be authorised within zones on the following basis:
    a. Allow recreational fishing only with one line in ALL green zones.
    b. No change to the proposed two lines in ALL yellow zones.
    5. These interim arrangements would remain in place until the study was complete and permanent arrangements based on the findings of the study implemented.
    ---------------------------------------
    Policy Comparison Table

Green Zones

Labor
    No commercial fishing
    No recreational fishing

LNP
    No commercial fishing
    Recreational fishing one line per person

Yellow Zones

Labor
    No commercial fishing
    Recreational fishing two lines per person

LNP
    No commercial fishing
    Recreational fishing two lines per person

Commercial fishing compensation package

Labor
    $15 million

LNP
    $20 million
    ~~~><))))*>

HI mark. Is the data that your govt has used to evaluate the value, viability and effect on the environment (and other things boffins think of) available for perusal . I would think there are quite a few groups south of the border who would love to see a few hundred reef balls placed in spots around NSW. The pittwater / hawkesbury/ broken bay area comes to mind as an area that would benefit greatly from reef balls. Was the cost of the balls at $265k including installation and management and other stuff only public servants think of.
    IF you could provide the information for us south of the border so we may try and grab some funds from the NSW rec fishing trust.

Are you sure you are not making that up Mike or maybe you just misunderstood ?.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

What kind of rig should I use around these new reef balls Mark?

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Are you sure you are not making that up Mike or maybe you just misunderstood ?.
    Posting things you made up would get you banned Steeler
    Rule number 1

Chat Board Rules
    You agree, through your use of this Chat Board, that you will not post any material which is false.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    What kind of rig should I use around these new reef balls Mark?
    Does anyone know how high they are?
    If they are actually only 50cm high I would think if you set tied a dropper that far above your lead you'd be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Posting things you made up would get you banned Steeler
    Rule number 1

Chat Board Rules
    You agree, through your use of this Chat Board, that you will not post any material which is false.

Maybe that presser release statement has a new home under one of those arti's.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Does anyone know how high they are?
    If they are actually only 50cm high I would think if you set tied a dropper that far above your lead you'd be fine.
    They look just like this

reefball.JPG

Muddy don't fish with a crane you will lift them off the bottom
    Cheers

Trev

http://www.baysidebulletin.com.au/st...oochie/?cs=213

Photos 2 in that series shows what the fish see if the hole hasnt been silted over.

According to the ReefBall site the ones on the west are fishing well and it doesnt take long to reach the bag limit...?? (of toad fish).

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing