Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reccomendations for electric/ hydraulic trailer brake pump ?

Re: Reccomendations for electric/ hydraulic trailer brake pump ?

Hydrastar units come with a cover now.

Darren

Thanks Darren, I didn't know that but it makes a lot of sense to supply one to protect the unit if they are vulnerable to damage. Probably good to get them up high as practical too like you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    I am running a Hydrastar 1200 which is doing a decent job the past 3 years since new. It just surprised me though on reading the documentation that came with it that it not to be exposed to rain or such. Now almost every unit I see fitted to trailers out there is just sitting out in the elements getting either rained on or wet when washing the boat down etc.
    The filler cap is also very weak and vulnerable to either fall off or just too inviting for someone, even just a child to play with it, pour sand in what ever. Also very easy to kick and break the hydraulic line off to the back of the unit.. Would appear to be a bit of engineered "design to fail" to me.
    For what the units cost to repair or replace plus the risk and inconvenience of a failure wouldn't it be sensible for we owners to to install a cover for it?
    Mine was just sitting out there on the drawbar for a year or so then I made a cover for it and it is much better protected now plus the cover doubled as a handy step to jump up on front of the boat.
    I have heard the early Sensa Brake units were troublesome but better these days and a good unit, hope it's true. They used to have to have a special in car controller for them but I am not sure if that is still the case.

A couple of pics of my hydrastar cover

Attachment 93696

Attachment 93697
    Thats a great set up, very neat and it makes sense, Cheers.

Great prices on the Hydrastar 4 U website.

http://www.hydrastar4u.com/page/434343618

From reading other posts it looks like the combo to get would be;

HBA 12 1200 psi unit, $685
    Tekonsha P 3 controller, $ 225 ( might be cheaper out there)
    Tekonsha break away, $ 130
    Cover $ ?

total $ 1040

p3 $165 on ebay,no better brake controller

Quote Originally Posted by tassjo View Post
    p3 $165 on ebay,no better brake controller
    Awesome, Thanks for that.

I will do the ring around tomorrow and get several prices form suppliers in Aus and see how they compare to US prices. Then decide if the savings warrant the hassel and lack of warranty.

If you go for the hydrastar, one thing I recommend is a bit of electrical tape or similar around the brake fluid cap. Have lost one and now do that plus carry a spare. I know the offload camper trailer forums have an upgrade for the cap that gives it a firmer grip when closed. I think ts a thicker washer or the like - but the elec tape works for me.

Cheers,
    Jim

The $165 FROM EBAY IS FROM AUS ,A FEW PEOPLE SELL THEM AROUND THE SAME PRICE

OK, so i done the ring around on monday and the best price i could get was from trailer spares direct in brissy. For the pump, cover, breakaway kit, P3 controller and a installation kit is $ 1413. plus postage. he didnt give me the break down of individual prices.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers Chris.

All ordered and on its way !

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    A couple of pics of my hydrastar cover
    I can not see the attachments that you uploaded, but I can see other attachments from other posters. I am new the this forum so perhaps there is some trick I am missing.

I am about to pick up a new boat and trailer with a hydrastar installed. I don't really like it exposed out on the drawbar either. I know there is a little cover for it but wanted something more substantial, no so easily tampered with, etc.