Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reef Ball updates. MBMP

Re: Reef Ball updates. MBMP

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Thanks phil really appreciate it. I'm from cockroach country and planning a trip to the bay second week of July. Might have a poke around some of these if I get the chance.

Ok gold thank you Phill,

I'll do exactly that, I emailed the Minister a couple of nights ago but will meet with my local rep. I guess you're helping me on the "all management, design, construction and deployment data is established and at hand?"

Mate I'll flick you a PM, think this needs a lot more discussion as I'll need to approach him with some ideas on the steel structures etc.. Thanks.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Nick,

This project, IMO, was started and undertaken due to a couple of reasons.

First and only quantifiable one, being the then Labor Government were coping a flogging from the Rec Fishing industry in response to their Moreton Bay Marine Park Zoning fiasco.

After protests by Rec Fishing Groups and losing a couple of seats and a minister, someone ( unknown which specific person ) promoted the idea of " dispersing recreational fishing presure " due to closures in relation to Green Zones, implimented within the MBMP.

The Government, through DERM sought out stakeholders, formed a working group and were allocated funds, initially $1 mill with NONE of those funds going to Government to " manage " the project. $1mill is pittance and that amount grew to $2 mill, but the Government syphoned off 10% for " management fees ".

The ship, Tiwi Pearl , cost nealry 200,000 smackers to drop into the bay, hence my sugestion that wrecks do not give us bang for buck as they need specific depths, deployment methods, cleaning etc and only cover a small seabed area. Probably good for divers, but that's it.

The Current Government have stashed $50 mill as part of the Marine Infrastructure Program and is earmarked for recreational activities / projects / programs. These funds are sitting there, waiting to be distributed to those that ask for them. There is criteria to be met and unfortunately, there is no organisation willing to or qualified, to submit a proposal to get funding for Artificial Reefs in Queensland.

Nick, if you'd like to get a hold of funding, I suggest you meet ( not email, call etc ), meet.... with your local LNP member and ask them the criteria needed to access this funding.

Tell them all management, design, construction and deployment data is established and at hand and you only need dollars.

Let's not forget we need part of that funding to be set aside for monitoring of all the artie's.

LP

Nick........ have emailed you.

cheers LP

Quote Originally Posted by braders83 View Post
    Thanks phil really appreciate it. I'm from cockroach country and planning a trip to the bay second week of July. Might have a poke around some of these if I get the chance.

If you are heading out to Harry Atkinson arti and looking for the Tiwi Pearl, it will be under all the other fishing boats out there

= popular place.

LP

I'll just add a bit to Phill's comments about how the artificial reef program began as I have first hand knowledge of this matter.

As some of you may know, I was heavily involved with the main resistance group to the Moreton Bay Marine Park rezoning, which was the Moreton Bay Access Alliance. Ended up as deputy chairman to Bruce Alvey, and fronted many meetings, workshops and discussions with the Ministers, the EPA and stakeholders reference group members.

Spent a couple of years of my life fighting for recreational fishing interests in this debacle of a process. Along with some other very dedicated and committed people from the other sectors.

Because the MBAA for the first time presented the State Govt with a unified group representing the recreational, commercial, seafood retail and seafood lovers sectors, all lined up and united together take them on, it scared the bejesus out of them. Why? Simply, for once, their normal tactic of divide and conquer between the sectors wouldn't work. A lesson not to be forgotten.

When it became obvious to everyone that no matter what, the Labor Govt. of Captain Bligh was going to take somewhere up to 20% of the Bay in green zones, apart from doing our best by putting up and advocating hard for them to be put the areas which would have least impact on fishing, we also negotiated hard for compensation for the recreational sector.

Never before had the rec sector anywhere in Australia, or possibly the world, been able to get any kind of compensation for the loss of fishing areas to green zones. We succeeded in achieving that.

The compensation was agreed to be be in the form of artificial reefs. We secured a commitment from Bligh for them to fund the program of artis. This has subsequently been developed and expanded and rolled out with people like Phill stepping up into the advisory group.

Thats how it all started.

Cheers
    Grant
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

the first reef balls were only 800mm high and with sinkage and silting appear as only a tiny blip on the sounder. without the marks you wouldn't give them a second glance. 600kg balls sound a lot beefier. anyone got any idea of the size of them?
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Probably have photos in Fridays Redland Times ...Dave.

Maybe there is a media release on the NPWS website ?

Nope... nothing there... must have been Secret Squirell stuff.

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/mediareleases/index.php

LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 13-06-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    More southern bay shallow artis (which is good), but what about the off Redcliffe? We lost fishing spots to green zones too.

Perhaps the State member for Redcliffe could stick up for us.
    Mike,
    Try Member for Sandgate, Kerry Millard. I have raised this with her before. The marine infrastructure fund includes artis. A local consortium needs to put together a proposal. Eg rec fishing club

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    Hi Phill,

As an interested onlooker from much further north, how did you start this project? Any tips?

Thanks mate,

Nick.
    Nick,
    Try contacting Gavin King, LNP member for Cairns, Michael Trout, LNP member for Barron River or Curtis Pitt, ALP member for Mulgrave. A proposal needs to be put forward by a local consortium of rec fishers etc - to the marine infrastructure fund (TMR). Gavin King is on the Govt Tourism backbencher committee that is looking at rec fishing tourism. Hope that helps. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    the first reef balls were only 800mm high and with sinkage and silting appear as only a tiny blip on the sounder. without the marks you wouldn't give them a second glance. 600kg balls sound a lot beefier. anyone got any idea of the size of them?
    Net maker,
    The link has a photo gallery.
    Mark

http://www.baysidebulletin.com.au/st...oochie/?cs=212

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I still reckon they should have whacked a string of arties in 8-10m of water about 2.5-3km out off Shorncliffe to Redcliffe to Skirmish point. Even if they are only 1 reef ball wide and 30 metres apart, they will become fish highways and refuges for bait. would also act as a permanent underwater fence to keep the trawlers away from the coast.
    you beat me to it Jack. I was just about to say that northern and nw bay seems to get overlooked for artis.

Yep these would make a good trawler fence reefball.JPG

I understand red-tape and deployment are the biggest cost but these things could so easily be made by concrete batch plants with the waste they return to the depot with rather than dumping it.
    Cheers

Trev

Actually Trev, while that sounds like a good idea, i understand that they are actually made out of a special concrete blend that attracts and supports marine growth. Not all concrete is suitable.

Like a lot of things, what looks simple on the surface has a fair bit more in the detail when you get into it.

Actually, here, i found a brochure for you all. Says they require special marine grade concrete free from toxic additives:

http://www.reefballaustralia.com.au/..._aust_2011.pdf
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Mark.

I have contacted the ministers office to get details on how to access funding.

So far you have said it requires.

Local consortium of rec fishers

Local fishing club

Fishing groups

I was of the understanding that any group / entity that wanted to apply for funding had to be a not-for-profit, registered organisation. I hope to hear back from DAFF and TPT soon with exact submission details.

Ausfish is a Fishing Group and a Consortium and a Club.......

cheers