Thread: Buying live yabbies for bait?

Buying live yabbies (BLUECLAW) for bait?

Anyone know where I can buy bait sized yabbies (blueclaw) between brisbane and stanthorpe? Need 100 to 200 depending on price for an upcoming trip and they are getting a bit scarce in the local dams and creek we usually get em from.
    Cheers.

Re: Buying live yabbies for bait?

You mean blue claw i take it? don't take redclaw out or fisheries will quite rightly nail yo a$*se. Or do you mean the little nippers that you pump? I'm pretty sure you mean blue claw (Cherax destructor). they tend to close down when the cold weather hits but it's funny bc we have seasons where there are heaps and then they'll just disappear out of a dam. We have noticed that it's unusual to get both bobbies (spangled perch) and yabbies in the same dam. They can be found in the same creek or waterhole or lagoon but at least at our place, not the same dam. Strange.
    After all that, sorry, don't know where you could pick up some live ones. At stanthorpe you'd need to chop em out of the creeks at this time of the year anyway wouldn't you?

Yeah blueclaw.. (Relocating redclaw is a big no no and the salty little yabs just don't attract the yellas n cod like a nice sized bluey ) Getting a bit cold so they are digging in for the winter and for the numbers i require it may take some time to catch that many out there without getting frostbite! I see you can buy them in bulk from sydney but they won't send to brizzy so was hoping someone knew of somewhere closer.

Triple, your right about the salt water small yabs. We were sold a frozen pack at Chinchilla for about $9 and didn't get a touch at the weir out there. Suspect some local will come on here and tell me they got their bag limits of yellas on them.

Still looking...
    Cheers.