Thread: Iluka long weekend

Iluka long weekend

Left home Saturday morning and got to Iluka about 8 am. Showers greeted us and the wind was blowing. The river was full of white caps. Went down to the surf for a worming session and got handful, but they were few and far between. Pulled the surf rod out late in the arvo along with the raincoat; fished for 2 hours with no bites. Then, the rain starting driving down harder, so back to the caravan for a hot meal.

By Sunday morning, the wind had dropped off, so took the daughter and her grandparents out for a fish. Had a nice 1.5 hr bite session on the tide turn, everyone landed fish - mainly bream - with a few choppers amongst the mix. There were a lot of boats fishing along middle wall... landing fish as well. All except one was taken by bait and I landed a nice bream on plastics. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130609_155346.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	93491

Monday morning the river looked perfect to be on the water but the forecast of rain all the way to Ipswich, didn't want our journey of 3hrs turning into 4.5hrs due to traffic.
    Good things come to those who bait

Re: Iluka long weekend

Nice hopefully the wind and rain go away for my trip down there in 3-4weeks time. Last time we went the rivers was a torrent of fresh running out.

Its a top spot down there especially out on the breakwall. Some absolute monsters have been caught out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Webby08 View Post
    Nice hopefully the wind and rain go away for my trip down there in 3-4weeks time. Last time we went the rivers was a torrent of fresh running out.

Its a top spot down there especially out on the breakwall. Some absolute monsters have been caught out there!
    Only ever get down there on this long weekend every year, but always impressed with the quality. Also a lot of guys are going for blackfish and doing quite well. The river at this stage is nice and salty you might be in for a good trip.

Darren

I better, after the last trip we only got 4 or 5 good sized bream of the stones last time. But it was like a brown foam pit everywhere.

darren were the bream caught in the surf or in the river?
    great spot down there we had planned to be there over the weekend also until something came up.
    Which park do you stay in?
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    darren were the bream caught in the surf or in the river?
    great spot down there we had planned to be there over the weekend also until something came up.
    Which park do you stay in?
    All were caught along middle wall. They are also getting a few bream on the Iluka rock wall. We were staying at the riverside tourist park great little spot, but the ramp sucks. Better off going down to the local ramp near where the ferry comes in, only a couple of streets away.

Darren

Some nice Bream there. Well done.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Thanks for the report Darren. A mate and I were planning on going down but the weather predictions (again for this year) caused me to pull the plug and wait for a better week/end. Hopefully that will not be too far away as I am very keen to get down there again and get offshore and sample some of the snapper on the inshore reefs. Was anyone getting any whilst you were there? Any reports of Tailor yet? Mal

Quote Originally Posted by malby View Post
    Thanks for the report Darren. A mate and I were planning on going down but the weather predictions (again for this year) caused me to pull the plug and wait for a better week/end. Hopefully that will not be too far away as I am very keen to get down there again and get offshore and sample some of the snapper on the inshore reefs. Was anyone getting any whilst you were there? Any reports of Tailor yet? Mal
    Didn't hear any reports of snaps being caught. There is some choppers getting around, the ones we caught were all throw backs. I was talking to a person from the tackle shop they said they were getting a couple of reasonable sized tailor at shark bay.

Darren

Bugger all caught of wall fri/sat at iluka. Couple bream. Stayed yamba blue dolphin as well and saw plenty bream come in and one snapper and a couple mulloway from offshore

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For a bit of fun at Illuka throw a bit of squid on a hook at the wharf where the trawlers are at night and hang on....the Clarence River Flathead will run and break you off almost every time....stingrays that is....some monster bream there as well.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.