Thread: Overhead Surf Rod builds

Overhead Surf Rod builds

Been looking around at what was available off the shelf in regards to overhead surf rods as found there is very little around.
    Sensor Surf 11"
    Penn Prevail 12"
    And a couple of $100 glass jobs here and there.

Any of you built anything interesting in this regard? (I run a Torium 30 on 30Lb throwing bait and metal up to 150g) Prefer 12-13ft High seat (trigger)
    Any stand out performing blanks

Particularly interested in any trick looking grips/seats etc on overhead surf rods.
    Last edited by Webby08; 08-06-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Beer

Re: Overhead Surf Rod builds

I just finished a 11' surf rod for a customer.
    Used a CTS S8 blank, Fuji SiC surf guides, rubberized cork tape grip, Fuji rubber butt cap with Fuji real seat. I also made 4 Turk Head knots on the grips as well.

Any photos?
    Anyone with a custom overhead surf rod Im also interested in hearing from you Re:builder/cost/satisfaction with the end result.

No photos mate, but I have been building high performance over head surf rods for years. I guess it will all depend on how fancy ie $ you want to go. Most of the over head surf rods I build are on custom blanks, the performance is in the 1/3 of the blank so you can pelt a lure over the horizon.

Whats available blank wise for a good 30lb rod 12+ft for rock/beach that's nice and fast.

Webby,

The CTS S8 Surf blank is one of the best surf blanks you can get.
    One thing I must warn you about is in my opinion, I think they overspec there blanks or underestimate them; which ever way you'd like to consider it.
    So, if you want a 3 oz rod, order a 2 oz.

Looked at a couple of youtube videos of these they look pretty nice probally be around the 3-6oz, 5-8oz will have a look around. Anyone around Sth Est qld got either of these blanks made up into a rod?