Thread: Getting sick of CP

Getting sick of CP

Guys,

I'm posing a question regarding CP.
    Lately I've been using thread on my wraps that requires the application of CP before finishing. Problem I'm having is that no matter how many applications of CP I use I can't seem to seal the thread enough. Sometimes I'll get 20 - 40% of the wraps going black because the epoxy will run under the thread and darken it.
    It seems that the CP is not saturating through the thread enough. This is all I can assume and this is why the wrap will darken only after the finish runs under the wrap.
    I've never had this problem before because I used NCP or straight nylon thread. Only happening after using Bullards thread.

The question is;
    Do you guys have the same problem?
    Which brand of CP do you use?
    Do you shake the bottle before use and then add water to thin it?
    How do you apply it?

Cheers.

Re: Getting sick of CP

Happen to me once but since take a little more care
    I usually slosh on the first coat,making sure you have good coverage and then wick off excess ,let dry (to directions) then apply another coat or two
    Think CP has to be well and truely dry before coating with epoxy
    I am using Chromoseal

Shake the shit out of it and don't thin it.
    If the solids settle and you're taking it from the top you're putting on little more than water in most cases.
    There are some solvent based CPs where the above doesn't apply.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Do as above mate. If yous not having any success sealing the thread then the issue is lack of suspended solids. I have mix my own brew of CP.

Thanks for the input boys.
    I do shake the crap out the bottle and I do try and saturate the damn thread. I glob it on like clag. I then do the same to the next 2 wrap and go back to the first to wick off excess, thinking that should have given it enough time to soak in. As per directions, an hour should be enough for the CP to dry before finishing.
    Lately I've been using the Flexcoat CP, but I do have a bottle of chromoseal on standby. I might have to try that instead.
    Going back now to strip off the discoloured thread and start again. Grrrrrrr

Mate do exactly what the other guys have suggested but also make sure you go over each end of the wrap. The idea is to entirely encapsulate the thread so that no finish actually seeps into it. If it goes black then the finish has hit the thread - this could be as Stuart suggested with the lack of suspended solids. I've been using Chromaseal for years now and for me it is THE best CP out there. With all others I've seen the dreaded "snowflake" look over dark thread which I hate. I use heaps of Madeira and other Poly threads and make sure they are sealed every time.

Mark,
    After you apply the CP to the thread, do you wait for a particular amount of time for it saturate before you wick off the excess?
    Do you thin the Chromoseal or do you just shake the bottle and apply straight from the bottle?
    Do you try brushing under the feet of the guide or do you expect it to saturate right through the entire thickness of the thread?

are you saying that you coat your underbind at the same time as your over....if you are then coat your under before you do the guide bind

and i dont thin down any cp ,just use it straight

ian

Never thin down your CP!. It's a waste of time and effort and reduces the solids which are designed to seal the thread from the epoxy.
    Apply a fairly heavy coat. As you go along the wrap or guides you will see the thread you first put the CP on soaking it up. Apply a little more of the CP. When the thread stops soaking it up, then wick away any excess CP. I just uses a brush to get rid of most of the excess and finish with light length wise strokes of the brush. Make sure you do this well as any areas where the CP has pooled a little can leave marking on the thread or "snowflakes". I always apply at least 2 coats and if using Madeira thread in the wrap I use 3 coats. Sometimes, and it isn't consistent, Madeira threads can be prone to causing Fisheye problems with the finish. Hope this helps.

Sorry forgot this bit. Shake the bottle pretty well to get those solids suspended right through the solution.
    I always try and fill the tunnels alongside the guide foot with CP and let it dry. If you do a fairly heavy coat it will fill naturally. If I do underwraps, I coat them with a couple of coats of CP and let it dry overnight before putting on the guides and wrapping them.

Thanks for all the help.
    I'llgive it another go.

Just wanted to give you guys an update.
    It was the CP. Chromaseal did the trick. I was using Flexcoat before which is a much thicker liquid and I suppose it must not have penetrated the thread all the way through. Chromaseal is a much thinner CP and did exactly what it's supposed to.
    So thanks boys.