Thread: Long weekend

Long weekend

I'm paddling off for 3 days living out of the kayak on the upper noosa river - can't wait, even if the weather looks a bit dodgy.

Anyone else heading off?
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Re: Long weekend

Hey GBC,

Is that up around Harrys Hut etc? Good luck and have fun. Some very good native bass fishing to be had up that way. A bit of rain won't spoil things - the fish might actually fire-up for you.

Was thinking of using my North Pine Dam fishing license on either Sunday or Monday - but will wait and see what the weather looks like first. Been a few months since I last sat in the yaks and had a fish and really itching for a trip.

Cheers,

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

G'day Pete,

Yes, I put in at Harry's then its about 18 k.m. upstream - very quiet place.

Theres small angry bass up there, but being june they are off the menu. Maybe Tarpon or barra (dreaming). I'll keep the sounder on so any decent snags will be inspected

Sounds like a very good way to have some quite time fishing.Enjoy!
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

Weekend was good. Friday and Saturday was mostly clear. I paddled up to campsite 5 for Friday night. OnSaturday I paddled back to 3 and had a walk up the Cooloola sand blow which has pretty special views. I then proceeded to camp 15. Rain started about 0200 Sunday morning and didn't stop all morning. Packed up and made the 26 odd k.m. paddle back in pretty average conditions. Photo will show I was a little stir crazy by the end of it - it wasn't just drizzle.
    The Harry's hut road is posted as being closed in wet conditions, but that didn't stop every second bored Noosa unit dweller from going and chopping it out on Sunday. I would have passed 30 cars on the way out. They didn't have boats on the roof and it wasn't exactly picnic conditions. Just thinking they were hardcore or something?

Outcomes:
    1. Mosquito jungle hammock rules the world - I am never sleeping in a tent or on a thermarest ever again - the pic shows the divot in the sand where the rain was pouring off the tarp - I remained dry and comfortable. Footnote for Gents only - when its pouring rain and you hear the call of nature, it's not necessary to get out of bed Sounds a bit silly here, but at the time I was well impressed...
    2. I am an extraordinarily average freshwater fisherman.
    3. Aldi INOC wet weather (snow) gear actually works (20 000 mm waterproof, 20 00 mm 2 breathable) Best $100 jacket I've bought.

Overall a successful trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad you enjoyed your long weekend solitude trip!! I spent mine repainting the laundry!!
    It's been 20+ years since I've been up that way, it still looks like a great place for a paddle & camp.

And long distance paddling in rain is not fun.

GBC, Looked like an interesting weekend was had. The hammock & tarp setup looks great too - perfect for the rainy weather too (high & dry). Sorry to hear the fish weren't up for it though. But that is a nice part of the world though. Cheers, Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

I found the link to my hammock makers:

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

I bought mine after doing a fair bit of homework. It's military grade and works exactly as i'd hoped.

Other ones to look at are Hennessey, warbonnet, etc - v popular in the Northern hemisphere.