Thread: Pros and Cons of Spray on Rustproofing

Pros and Cons of Spray on Rustproofing

Interested in getting the new truck rustproofed, last one the Patrol have Erps, not going that route so its either

: spraying underneath with Tectyl which im finding hard to organise as ill have to spend a bit to get the gear, car stands etc and spray gun, does anyone know who will do this?

: or going to a place like Downey Street Lubitorium who do more of a rubber type underbody sealant, inner doors etc and something else on the motor, a few mechanic mates have said it gets chipped off and over time with repeated applications gets a pain to work on...

Ive heard good things about Downey Street and Tectyl.

Other option is not to worry about it and just do what i normally do and just give it a really good clean and wax etc after Straddie

Mike
    Tangles KFC

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

Re: Pros and Cons of Spray on Rustproofing

Any decent panel shop can spray it on for you or if you can get access to a hoist and compressor you can buy a cheap underseal gun and spray the tectyl on yourself (which is what I would recommend as you will be more careful and thorough)

Just remember to allow time for it to cure before hitting any beaches or tracks.

Cheers Ryan

Mike, I have stands, ramps and a compressor if you want a lend. Do the Tectyl yourself. The other stuff is great until you get a breach then it just holds the moisture in
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hi Good to see you flick the electronic scam, Get some product (tectyl) into door,sills, etc but consider using a fresh spray of innox for underbody protection for occasional beach trips. Pressure wash underbody and sand and innox goes. Takes about 5 min. with innox spray bottle to apply. cheers john

Yes Mike.

You know my thoughts.

Disposable overalls ( $10 ). dust mask ( .50 cents ) safety glasses ( $5 )

4 spray cans of Tectyl ( $80 )

Concrete driveway or road way...........

20 minutes and enthusiasm.

I didn't need car stands etc.

The most important aspect is the good underbody wash when coming off the sand.

I was under the old Collie last week and myself or mechanic could not find any sand, despite my many trips to Fraser etc.

I usually do a wash on return and then at least 2 more over the next week or so.

If you identify the spots sand can get trapped, this is a good start.

That reminds me........ time to do my new Collie.

cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Lucky Phil how are you applying your Tectyl mate? Do you buy a spray device of some sort or does it come in spray cans from somewhere? Thought u need a compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Mike, I have stands, ramps and a compressor if you want a lend. Do the Tectyl yourself. The other stuff is great until you get a breach then it just holds the moisture in
    Horse thats what i figured with the chips on the other stuff, some shops dont want to spray Tectyl on a hoist as they reckon it gets everywhere, will give you a pm... being mechanically illiterate prepared to learn, after-all i have got small gelcoat repairs down pat.

mike
    Tangles KFC

2nd for the inox or lanotec, get 4 litre dum and you will get several treatments, i spray underbody then on return from beach trip gerni the underside and apply inox again.

11 years of beach camping at Straddie, Fraser etc and not a hint of panel or chassis rust etc anywhere on my Discovery 2. Always washed thoroughly after each trip. A month or so ago I decided to get serious and sprayed underneath and inside the rails with Xtroll Rust Conqueror UV. Sets hard and clear. I know blokes including family that have been using xtroll for 20 years and swear by it and I have seen the results. Surf lifesaving now apparently require their trailers to be treated with it.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I'll 3rd Inox, its easy to apply at any time with a spray bottle and will get into places where tectyl won't because the inox is thinner. I beach launch every week ,which reminds me..

I'm surprised so many people are against electronic rust protection. I agree some of them are gimmicks with their little 'pads'. My ute has electronic rust protection hooked up to 4 anodes, which are evenly distributed on the chassis rails. I can see that the anodes are degrading over time so they are most certainly working to a degree. Just regular inspection of the anodes and maintenance of the contact points.

I'm not saying it works 100% but most (if not all) outboards have a sacrificial anode. Why should cars be any different? Especially with negative grounding.

My brother sells and installs ERPS and is a fan. There is good anecdotal data he says from sand mines etc showing good results with the system properly fitted and maintained.

Cheers

Yeah giday mate I have the spray on black shit on the 80 series I just bought it seems great at the time and looks the piece but now is chipping off and as an above member said I reacon its holding moisture under it. definitely not what you want. I would definitely go hard with the tectyl and and inox inside your car so it runs into places tectyl wont.

Cheers Casey

Xtroll has a specific gravity less than water, so incredibly runny and travels everywhere water would go and more, completely covering the steel or rusted steel and sealing it...apparently normal paint is a little porus.

Cheers